News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1969 cadillac genuine camshaft and chilled lifters

Started by 1969cadillac, February 25, 2012, 07:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969cadillac

hello out there

i found found a genuine 40 yo new old stock GM OE camshaft for my 69 deville

the shop manual states that the 69 cam is made of alloy cast iron

i have bought a set of "chilled " GM lifters for it

my question is will the lifters  be compatible with the original  style camshaft?

what is best to put on the cam to run it in - moly grease ?

and what does chilled mean , thanks , murray mules

update april 24 2012 : 

hello again - have just bought a set of sealed power standard lifters HT-951
made in mexico ! - has anyone out there had experience with these ? are they of decent quality?
and pls see picture attached - the cutout for the oil feed is alot larger on the original
your thoughts please

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: 1969cadillac on February 25, 2012, 07:13:12 AM
....... i have bought a set of "chilled " GM lifters for it ......and what does chilled mean , thanks , murray mules
Not stolen?   as in hot?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Never heard that term before but goggled it and found this on ISKY's site:

CHILLED IRON LIFTER: A cam follower made from high quality iron alloy that is heat treated by pouring the molten iron into a honeycomb mold with a chilled steel plate at the bottom to heat treat the face of the lifter. It's compatible with steel and hardface overlay cams only.

HAROFACE OVERLAY: A process originated by Ed Iskenderian to apply a tungstencarbide, chrome-nickel alloy to the outer surface of the cam lobe. These combined alloys provide an extra-durable surface for the tremendous spring pressures and high rpm of today's all-out competition engines. Camshafts that have been hardfaced are for maximum competition only, and cannot be used on the street.

here is info on assembly and break in:
http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/comp-cams-quick-tech-video-proper-6283.html

Quality replacement cams for these engines are not a problem to get.  You can get everything from a stock type to crazy high performance.  Also several brands to choose from.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thanks for the information TJ,

The things one learns.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

gary griffin

There are pre lubes for assembly which can be purchsed at any good auto supply store, and back in the 50's we just used vasoline which is a petroleum jelly. The main thing is that there is enough lubrication to protect the surfaces during initial start up until the oil gets there and that the pre lube does not hinder the arrival of the oil.

I would consider the addition of zddp additive to your oil to be as important or more important than the pre lube. It has been discussed before on this forum and there is a lot of research on the internet.

Basically the government has been slowly mandating the removal of zinc and phosphate from our oils for enviromental reasons.

A cam is violently raising each lifetr hundreds to thousands of times per minute which is a lot of friction between two metal objects forced together by a high pressure spring.

Modern roller cams dont have the same problem but all older engines without roller cams simply need zddp or some other equlivant lubricant. You can buy oil with zinc and phosperous in it but it is probably cheaper to buy a good modern oil and add zddp
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver