News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Chicago members....I need a vehicle inspection

Started by djohnson, February 25, 2012, 11:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djohnson

I am looking at a 1969 ELDORADO located on the north side of Chicago.
I am about to send a deposit but was wondering if any one was interested
in taking a look at it for me.  ??.   I realize that Chicago just had a snow storm
so it may be a week or so.  please let me know if you are interested in
taking a look at it for me to see what kind of shape it is in.

Thanks in advance
Derrick 
508 415 0528

76eldo

Derrick,

I can't help you with that, I am on the east coast, but I can tell you that there is something wrong with the rear shocks on that car.

if I had to guess, the load leveler system and rear air shocks are not right, and someone put air shocks with a standard air filler valve on the rear.  they have way too much air in them and the car is not sitting level at all.

Good luck with your pursuit, looks like a nice car.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Rob Troxel

Good idea to have it inspected by someone who knows the car.  The Eldorados rear single leaf springs will often "Sag" after 40 plus years. ( I replaced mine with a heavier 3 leaf Moogs)  That combined with the air suspension compressor that often fails can accentuate this condition.  You could just convert the rear airshocks to a manual fill, making sure the air shocks are still good.  While I can't get there I'd be happy to call the seller and ask the questions I should have asked when I bought my 68 Eldorado 3 years ago.  All the best
robtroxelemail addresses not permitted

Cadillac Nut

Derrick,
Is it in Chicago proper?  or the suburbs?

Regards,
Garrett

djohnson

it is in the city.  North Side of chicago.

I did notice that the was "a little high in  the booty"  too much air in the air shocks i assume.  however the body is nice,  the interior is in nice condition & the engine is clean.   seller says car runs good (this i would like to verify  ) 

if the rear shocks are the only problem that would be great

Cadillac Nut

Derrick,
That's pretty far from me.  If you can't find someone to check it out for you, you could at least have the seller start the car and hold the phone up to the engine.  Not as good as in person, but it's something.

Regards,
Garrett

Andrew Armitage

Derrick,

I can check the car out for you if you're still interested.  I'm in the south suburbs but I'm up in the city a couple times a week.  I'll be up on the northside of the city next Thursday.  Drop me an email at aarmit1@yahoo.com.

I just recently got burned in a cross country purchase and I'd like to help someone else not suffer the same fate.  I don't mind checking a car out for a fellow CLC member.

edit:  I'm not an expert by any means on 60's/70's Cadillacs but I can tell if the engine is making noises it shouldn't, if the floor boards / trunk are rusted out, if the bottom of the engine is soaked in oil from a leak, and other general things non-specific to this model.
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
1941 67 Series
1966 Fleetwood 75 Series
1985 Seville
1991 Eldorado