News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 Cadillac rear a/c system pics?

Started by INTMD8, February 28, 2012, 04:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INTMD8

I'm working on installing a trunk mount vintage air heat/cool unit in my 57 Brougham and I would like to use period correct vents/ducts if possible.

I've seen a few chrome vents for 56 Cadillac that appear to have mounted on the inside roof of the car.  How was air routed to these vents? Just some sort of flexible tubing or was the ducting actually a part of the inner roof structure?

Any pics/info appreciated. Thanks!

-Jim

phildeville@cox.net

The 1956 ducts were made of the same card board used for heater & glove boxes, sandwiched between the headliner & roof. I tried to remove some of them in a bone yard here in AZ about 15 years ago.  They were so brittle, they fell apart.  I did save the outlets, but they were not correct for my Coupe, so I didn't use them.  If you only need the outlets, I will hunt for them.

Phil Terry 
Phil Terry  CLC# 15270

INTMD8

Thanks for the info Phil.

So I'm trying to picture this, the cardboard ducts were between the headliner and roof. Were there reliefs built into the roof structure for fitment of the ducts or did they just have a space between the headliner bows and inner roof structure?

The same duct passed down through the sail panel and rear deck? 

I'm interested in the outlets if you can find them. Thanks!

-Jim

INTMD8

Quote from: INTMD8 on February 29, 2012, 11:59:31 AM
I'm interested in the outlets if you can find them. Thanks!

Scratch that, I found what I would like to use.

J. Gomez

Jim,

Here is the A/C duct layout sorry the quality is not that good but should give you an idea on how is layout. Your picture is the correct plastic outlets for the rear.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

INTMD8

Thanks for the picture, thats perfect.  :)

-Jim