News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

J25400 Cadillac EFI Testing Instructions 1975

Started by waterzap, March 02, 2012, 10:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterzap

Thought would post this. It is the instructions to follow for using the J-25400 EFI tester. Even if you don’t have a tester, you can test the components individually. Like the injectors should read between 2.4 and 2.9 ohms, the temp sensors should read between 600 and 1600 and testing the fuel pressure.
Leesburg, AL

Gene Beaird

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

bcroe

A couple of those testers have come my way.  Probably could be put
back in working order, but I'm not sure how to make them available
to the car owners who might use them.  I have a different rig I use
for fixing the ECUs.  Bruce Roe

waterzap

Bruce is right in that those testers arent necessary today anymore. My multimeter can do pretty much everything that tester can. It is just the cool factor, pressing the buttons and reading the values.
Though, in 1975, I could definitely see the value though. No multimeters, voltmeter and ohmmeters probably cost a fortune. On top of that, the guy working on this car had probably never even seen a real computer. On the other hand he could probably rebuild a carb with his eyes closed.
Then this car drives in, beyond high tech for the day, and he has to find the problem. The tester was cool in that he only had to plug it in, go through the steps, read the values and there you go.

Does anyone have an idea how much these testers cost in those days? Could not have been cheap.
Leesburg, AL

Camillo Gornati

there is one on ebay for sale without harness for 300, but i saw 1 for sale on ebay for 120 with all harness and working.
Cgornati, proud owner of a 78 coupe deville and 64 Chevy impala SS

waterzap

If you want it, get the one with the harness. Like I said, not necessary, but interesting to have. Really for the technician that had no idea how these things worked in 76, and he could diagnose the problems by just pushing buttons and reading displays. You do need the harness though.
Leesburg, AL