News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Making drum brakes self adjusting

Started by RussK, March 03, 2012, 07:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussK

I know most of the people here are true authentic diehards. They believe it is just wrong if any thing isn’t original.
With saying that, I want every body to know I am trying to get my 46
as close to original as possible.
But here is my question;
I have to redo the front brakes on my caddy
Missing are the front shoes, springs, adjusters, hold downs.
Is there a shoe, adjuster kit, spring kit that will not only fix my brakes but also make them self adjusting?
And can I find them at a local parts store?
There has got to be a easy way of doing this
Thanks Russk
Russell kidd

gene harl

If you are interested and if they will work,,, I have the complete brake ass. from the backing plate out drums shoes and all from my 51 cad ....Gene Harl ,, Fallon ,Nv.CLC22406 ..... rgeneharlemail addresses not permitted

Dan LeBlanc

I believe the first year for self adjusters was 1961 (maybe 1960). 
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

bcroe

I once tried to put 63 self adjusters on my 62, but they kept
adjusting too tight.  I didn't try to figure them out, just removed. 
Bruce Roe

Walter Youshock

1960 was the first year for self-adjusting brakes.  I'd like to do this with my '57 as well.  Honestly, I'm surprised when self-adjusting brakes were introduced that there wasn't a retro-fit kit for earlier cars.  A lot probably has to do with the design and clearance of the drums. 

If you figure it out, I'd be interested how you did it.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Glen

Quote from: bcroe on March 05, 2012, 12:22:25 AM
I once tried to put 63 self adjusters on my 62, but they kept
adjusting too tight.  I didn't try to figure them out, just removed. 
Bruce Roe

My 61 CDV also had a problem with the brakes adjusting too tight.  They were just barely dragging on the drum.  I checked the shop manual but never found a way to adjust the adjusters. 

So after looking it over I figured out that if you bend the adjusting pawl out away form the star wheel it would loosen up the brakes a bit.  It seemed to work OK. 

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

RussK

I think I have all that I need; I can post pics and part #s for any one
interested in doing the same.
I do want to try them out first and make sure they work properly,
so I will keep you all posted
Almost all new from a local parts store, some used,
and less than $50.00 for all of it (all 4 wheels)
Russell kidd

gary griffin

I am just about ready to do my brake rebuild and would sure consider this modification. When will you be ready to post it?
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

RussK

I am going to try this weekend; I would like to have them done before I go out of town next week for our 10th year anniversary
She might get mad if I cancel or postpone it to work on the caddy
Russell kidd

RussK

The shoes are AutoZone 197 and adjuster kits are from a 66-70 Buick ,
I did have to modify the upper portion of the shoes to account for an anchor pin being a little closer to the center. I will post on how they hold

before and after cleaning
Russell kidd

curly

Looking at the picture, it looks like you have both secondary brake shoes on the same side. I am assuming that the 46 has self energizing brakes, with primary and secondary shoes.   Looking at the Autozone website, it looks like the shoes are different.

T Lewis

RussK

You are right, good eye.
I was check fitting things when I took this pic.
I later installed the primary shoe on the leading side

Russell kidd