News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Opinion on 1991 Cadillac Brougham

Started by Chad Oolman, March 04, 2012, 10:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Oolman

I have been searching for a low mileage, black, 1990-1992 Brougham for the last few years.  This one is on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-Cadillac-Fleetwood-Brougham-Astro-Roof-5-7-Wires-GM-Classics-/150769301498?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item231a8cf7fa

I realize it has all the right options, 5.7liter, wire rims, factory moonroof, triple black.  It does lack the d'Elegance package, but it has everything else a guy could ask for.

My question is on the value.  The $28,000 seems very high, but perhaps I am out of touch with what these cars are going for.  I know that Matt Garrett is a very particular individual, but with 30,000 miles, this car is still a vehicle that has been driven, not like some of his other ultra, ultra low mileage Cadillacs.

I would just like some opinions on what cars like this are worth, and will they hold their value as the last "traditional Cadillac"?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I've spent a good deal of time perusing this seller's website and there's little doubt he's a true Cadillac desciple.

As to this particular offering, although no doubt a superb example- I feel you could do better for the kind of coin sought. As you pointed out, it is not a d'Elegance and the mileage, while low is not quite low enough to command $28K IMHO.

Within the last year or so there was a triple blue (5.7 Litre) '91 Brougham d'Elegance with 5,000 miles in Sapphire Blue Firemist that was "as new". The car made on the order of ~$18K. The only issue was a mileage discrepancy due to an error on the part on a foolish inspection mechanic who incorrectly entered 105,000 on the vehicle record. This would not have bothered me- and was reflected in the final selling price. True it wasn't a black car but this blue is so dark that it almost appears black at twilight. The bottom line being that if you're willing to take your time, I feel it's highly likely you could do better for the money- from a seller that's a bit... err...more motivated- shall we say.

As to long term appreciation- I agree these '90-'92 Broughams are truely the last traditional Cadillacs and there will always be a strong following for the most pristine low mileage examples- with triple black being the most desireable color combination. BUT they've got to be near perfect- nothing less and preferably with the 5.7. (5.0 is ok in '91/'92 but not so good on a '90 which is the sluggish Olds 307 4bbl.)
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

28 seems pretty high to me.  It does appear to be a very highly optioned car and in very good condition but still....   A decent driver Brougham can be had for 2-5K depending on the exact condition.    I could then see double that being the bottom end of a show car but 5x?    No doubt there are very few in that condition and was at the end of a long run of a type of car we will likely never see again but I just dont see that kind of money. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Walter Youshock

I'll weigh in.  I'm the Secretary-Treasurer of the 5.0-Liter Chapter.  I have a '91 standard Brougham with the 5.0 FI.  I had a '90 with the 5.0 carbureted Olds engine.  The '91 5-liter is NOT a bad car at all and far better than the '90.

I've driven 5.7 cars and they do have that added punch you'd expect from Cadillac.  The 5.7 and 5.0 FI's are very close, however.  I wouldn't turn away from a low-mile 5.0 '91 or '92.  I would NOT consider a '90 5-liter, however.

You could buy 4 or 5 of these for $28,000 and STILL have enough left to DRIVE them all Summer at $4.00/gallon.

This car is also missing the CD/cassette radio option with the door-mounted speakers. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Mr Secretary-Treasurer: If you can find 4 Broughams identical in all ways to the one cited for $28K, I'll write the check today.

*The OP is obviously interested in knowing the value of a black top-tier Brougham as opposed to that of a run-of-the-mill driver.   

rwchatham CLC 21892

Hello, I have a friend that has a 1990 Brougham De Elegance, triple black, all options, Stored since new. He is looking to sell it.  It has 350 original miles. Mint condition, yes, 350 original miles. Has the 5.7 motor. If interested please email me.
Thanks.
R. Waligora

Walter Youshock

FYI:  My "run-of-the-mill driver" earned it's CLC Senior in Columbus this year. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Rick Payton

Just a few months ago I sold a  1991 Brougham 24,000 mile 5.7liter White with Grey interior perfect car,  still had the original Royal Seal tires for $14,000.  You should be able to pick one of these up in the mid to low teens for a great car.
Rick Payton - President- US Distribution
WWW.FLATJACK.COM

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1955 Cadillac Eldorado Seville
1955 Cadillac Coupe Deville
1956 Ford Thunderbird
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham #590
1959 Cadillac Coupe Deville
1964 Corvette Stingray
1967 Cadillac Coupe Deville
1986 Mercedes Benz 560SL
2006 Cadillac XLR
2013 Cadillac XTS
2015 Cadillac Escalade

Mr Secretary-Treasurer:

I have no idea how your car entered this discussion.

My final comment was intended as a general statement in regards to the OP's criteria. If you observe prices for equivalent examples to that in the eBay listing cited, you would know that $5-7K will not buy one in the open market as you had suggested.

Congratulations on your victory at the CLC Grand National.     

james t gilligan jr

His triple black '91 d'Elegance is on eBay, but I did not see any pictures posted....

Ed

Hey guys, Matt is a great collector, but I think he is definitely pricing himself out of the market. For example, 1985 Edlo (although in great condition) $140,000. Come on.... 
Ed Nieves
Member #23765

Greg Powers

Sounds like a beautiful Cadillac but the price is probably more than double the real value of the car at this time. Just last year at an estate sale I bought a 1992 Brougham with 5.7 engine (no astro roof or wire wheels) with the upgrade stereo system, security system with gas cover lock (quite unique) and the original Royal Seal tires showing 16,000 original miles for less than $10,000. There are some real beauties out there sometimes close to home. I'd keep looking.
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

76eldo

Ray,

Contact me about your friends car.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car