News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1969 cadillac airpump

Started by 1969cadillac, March 05, 2012, 07:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969cadillac

hello - is it ok to remove the vanes in the airpump?

i am hoping that the lack of air being pumped into the exhaust wont affect anything

the airpump is still mounted on the engine - all pipes are connected - i just replaced the bearings and knocked the vanes out

murray mules

TJ Hopland

It should not effect the way it runs.   I assume you are keeping it all there for appearance sake?   You should block the line to prevent exhaust flow back through the system and killing your bearings again.  What often kills them is the check valve goes out and lets exhaust back flow.  First it kills the diverter valve then it kills the pump.   A solid disc under the check valve would do the trick and not be visible.   The check valves are not hard to find because they fit many other makes and models into the 1990's. 

Some models from some years between 70 and 78 didnt have the smog pump so you can get the correct pulleys and brackets to completely eliminate the system if you choose to.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

waterzap

My pump wasnt working, but the previous owners kept the pipes in there. I just took the pipes out, plugged the holes for a bit more space in the engine. Here in NC they dont inspect cars older than 35 years. No inspections at all. I was just wondering if other states do inspect older cars for emissions?
Leesburg, AL

Dave Shepherd

In NYS cars 25 or older are exempt, so far.  LOL