News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Bose radio - revisited

Started by Doc Torman, March 05, 2012, 03:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Torman

I have seen a lot of the discussion on this site regarding the Bose radio but I have a question that I cannot find an answer to. I bought the 1994 Fleetwood Brougham last July and love it. The only thing I did not like was the fact that I could not play a disc or my mp3 player thru the system. I also thought it would be cool to have the rds function. I ended up having an Alpine unit put in the car. Needless to say I don't like it at all. First off I didn't get the rds because it was to rich for my blood. But the big factor is that I just plain don't like the sound. I loved the sound of the original Bose radio.
So my question is - what is the newest Bose radio I can put into this car. I guess it would have to be a similar hook up (I am not going to do it - I have somebody who can do the install)? I think I just saw that the Bose system was used up until 2004? Is there a particular year I should avoid, etc....
I am really lost on this subject and any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys !!!
Ken Torman
Doc Torman
CLC#17468

1994 Fleetwood Brougham  (currently)

Walter Youshock

I don't think the Brougham radio was by Bose.  Bose units were used in the fwd cars.  I have the Delco cd/cassette in my '91 Brougham and it is INCREDIBLE!!!!

One from your era Brougham should be relatively easy to come by--far easier than the '91-'92.  The electrical hookup is different starting in '93.  It should be a single plug vs. a dual plug for '91-'92.  The faceplates are identical.

These head units pop up on ebay from time to time and will plug directly into the factory amp.  I had mine rebuilt by Dr. Don's radio service:  http://www.doctordons.com/delcoradios.htm and they did a great job.  I believe they can also add a port for an MP3 player. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Doc Torman

Walter I have the original Bose unit in the basement. The one that came out of the 94 Fleetwood Brougham. The unit that was in it when i bought it. I don't anyone would have swapped from a dlco to a Bose ???? I am wondering what the newest unit is that I can get for the car that would be a relatively easy installation..... Thanks for your help.
Doc Torman
CLC#17468

Doc Torman

Walter  - I owe you an apology - my curiosity got the better of me so I went into my basement and sure enough the radio is a Delco - - - So I just learned something new  - - - -  sorry about the error --- so NOW I am completely in the dark. Can I replace the Delco with a Bose or do I need to stay with the Delco ?  Just trying to get some good sound  (with the addition of the disc player and the mp3 player). What a pain.....  Maybe I should have just left well enough alone   :(   
Doc Torman
CLC#17468

Walter Youshock

No apology necessary.  We learn things together here.

The Delco cd/cassette I have in the '91 is truly beautiful and yours should be very close in sound quality.  I would contact Dr. Don's and ask their opinion as to what they could do for you.  I believe they can add a port for the mp3.  It would be a good idea to also have the amplifier redone at the same time.  They develop a leaky capacitor that will cause popping and spark interference. 

I'm not sure if the amp in the '94 is buried under the dash like the earlier cars or it may be in the trunk right by the antenna.

I had the Bose cd in a '93 fwd Fleetwood and wasn't impressed.  It skipped every time the car ran over a pebble.  The Delco units were probably designed with the same technology as the Bose systems.  Remember, too, that swapping the radio may require changing speakers...

If you are looking for the correct cd/cassette head for your car and just have the cassette currently, they may have one available to sell you.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Doc Torman

Thanks for your help Walter  - I am thinking that my next step is to contact Dr. Don.... Sounds like a logical thing to do !!!   :)
Doc Torman
CLC#17468