News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

FWD Appliance Wire Mag Rims

Started by John Abend, March 06, 2012, 04:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Abend

I came across an old Eldorado guy the other day who was selling off some of his surplus parts and such.  In the garage, he had 3 67-78 Eldo/Toro rims that I inquired about.  He told me they were Appliance Wire Mag Aluminum rims which were made specially for the FWD eldo/toros and were rare dealer options back in the '70's. He used to have them on his '70 Eldorado till he had a front tire blow out, which dropped the front end on that side and ground 1 of the rims into fine shavings (which is why he only had 3).  He took the remaining rims off since he no longer had a matched set. When I asked how much he wanted for them, he told me $600....EACH!  I was kinda stunned by this and told him I'd pass on them for now.  Basically,  I wanted to find out if his story checks out cause the price seemed rather high for an aftermarket rim.  Are these type of rims really going for this much?  And are they really that rare?  I like the way they look but would hate to drop that much money on 3 rims with little chance of ever finding a 4th.  Any thoughts?  Thanks,

John

John Abend

'68 Sedan deVille Hardtop
'74 Eldorado Convertible
'87 Allante Convertible
'15 XTS Platinum VSport

76eldo

The Appliance basketweave style wheels were a dealer add-on.  I don't think you will find them in any Cadillac accessory books.  This type of item is similar to the roadster tops, trunk straps, wire wheels, and RR style chrome grills that were popular on the early 80's Eldorado's and Seville's.

He is out of his mind on the price too.  A mint set of four would only be worth $1000 to someone who really liked these and wanted them on the car.  They were cast aluminum so most are weathered, pitted and corroded.

I don't think they add anything to these cars, just my opinion.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

62droptop

i just looked at some online for my caddy,although more common rwd type

they were restored to better than new and were $1000 for all 4

price for a incomplete set is absurd

probably more like $600 for all 4 in used condition

John Abend

Thanks for the replies.  I definately think I'll pass on those rims.  I knew the price seemed way out of the norm.

John
John Abend

'68 Sedan deVille Hardtop
'74 Eldorado Convertible
'87 Allante Convertible
'15 XTS Platinum VSport

RossDeVore

Yes, $600 is an absurd price for three spares basically, especially in an unrestored condition. The AP wirestars also came in different widths of 6 or 7 inches with later wheels having the center section of the rims painted black. As for looks, performance etc. it is whatever an individual prefers. Saying that then, yes, I'm a big fan of them and have several sets of them, one fully restored set is on my 78 Eldo white with red guts and sporting American T-tops. I installed them with BF Goodrich white letter tires and matching Cadillac crest caps, my 76 Eldo black convertible with red guts has a mint original set I picked up for $450(a steel btw) with correct Appliance lugs and Appliance center caps with a redline tire of appropriate size. Aside from an extra set I've got that may be going on a recently acquired 76 Biarritz, I've picked up a rwd AP wirestar set in very good original condition that I'm putting on my Mandarin Orange 74 Sedan De Ville; still trying to find the right tire setup however. I run a search on eBay for AP and western rims for the 67-78 Eldos and check Craigslist regularly for good prices. Typically people don't know what these are and since they fit virtually nothing else are considered junk by many. $600 is a fair price for 50s' chrome or gold sabre, not anything of seventies vintage. Search under toronado wheels as well since many of those enthusiasts share the same issues and problems with wheels.

Regards,

Ross DeVore
clc 21373

62droptop

Ross, can you post some pictures of your cars with them on
i too am thinking about installing some on my car with bfg white letter tires

thanks

RossDeVore

Hopefully the pic posts

62droptop

looks awesome

love the look of a t/a on just about anything!