News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Garage Floor Coatings

Started by Whit Otis, 1188, March 10, 2012, 02:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit Otis, 1188

I'm building a new garage/workshop for my 4 Cadillacs.  Just wondering if anyone on the forum has had any experience with coating newly finished concrete.  I've been to Home Depot, etc. and picked up some info, but thought perhaps someone on this forum might have recommendations of product and process based on their own experience.  Thinking about such things as preparation as well as traction (non slip surface) once it is cured.  Thanks'
Whit Otis
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger

David Greenburg

I went through this exercise a few years ago when I remodeled my house and expanded the garage/workshop.  I did a lot of research on coatings and other alternatives, and actually wound up choosing a heavy duty plastic tile.  But I'm more of a weekend tinkerer; I'm not doing frame off resto's or pulling engines.  What I learned about the coatings was that preparation is everything, and proper preparation involves some very nasty chemicals and a lot of effort (or money).  Otherwise you get peeling problems, especially with heavy cars.  If you're going the coating route, I would not skimp on the cost.  Peope I talked to liked the U-Coat It and Griots products.  You can learn about this topic ad nauseam at http://www.garagejournal.com/
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Jeff Hansen

Hi Whit,

When I had a new floor poured in my 2 car garage in 2003, I went with the U-Coat-It system.  After almost 9 years, it still looks great!  Hasn't lifted and has held up to any fluid my '42 can leak as well as punishment from my wife, my two sons, and I.  I applied it myself after acid etching the freshly cured concrete.  Even the acid etching was not as bad it sounds.  I applied their clear coat over top of the color coat and added their anti-slip additive that you throw on the wet (uncured) floor by the handful.  I'd definitely recommend it!

I hope the restoration of Mr. Sloan's car is progressing nicely for you!

Best,
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

jagbuxx #12944

For my garage i went with Race-deck flooring tile.
Easy to install, cleans easy, create your own pattern and no prep of the concrete with chemicals...
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

76eldo

What happens with racedeck if you spill some oil or coolant on the floor while working on a car?
If it gets underneath how do you clean it up?

I built a 36 x 32 garage behind my house and the guy did a horrible job on the floor. It was very rough so he rented a carbide floor grinding machine and got it smooth but destroyed the hard top layer so it's dusty all the time. I got a quote to level and epoxy coat it with true commercial grade coating and it's about $4000.00.

It's just under 1200 square feet and it's about 4.00 a foot.  The modular stuff is about 7.00 a foot. There's also a glue down rubber material like you see in commercial buildings but I never priced that out.

Mine is a working garage so I know I am going to have spills and like the epoxy idea the best so far.

Ucoat it is also an option but it's too big for me to do it myself.

Let me know what you decide. I'm curious.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

jagbuxx #12944

True,
My garage is more show than go!
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

Ed

Jagg, that's a beautiful garage. I love it, but the flooring can be expensive.
Ed Nieves
Member #23765

akstraw

I bought a ten-year old home last May and had the garage floor finished with a material called polyaspartic.  It has held up well under residential use.  I am very pleased with the look, and the surface has the right amount of roughness that it is not slippery when wet.  I have had no problem cleaning small oil spills, and there appears to be no degradation from petroleum.  It is also supposed to hold up well agaionst hot tires, and I have had no problems with tire tracking at all.  The polyaspartic system installed cost was $3.00 per foot, compared with $4 per foot or more for epoxy.  Both of these quotes included diamond grinding of the floor as part of the application process.  All in all, I am satisfied with my selection of the polyaspartic option.

Andy
CLC 21467
Andrew Straw
CLC 21467