News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

how does a great 1956 Cadillac Convertible end up on Copart

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, March 11, 2012, 05:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello,

A friend of mine purchased a 1956 Cadillac Convertible , from a site called copart that deals in cars that have been damaged . The car came from the Bronx in New York City .  The car was delivered last week to his shop . This Guy's Shop is located in Philadelphia and he did the work on the Seville i once owned  and now is presently doing some body work on my  57 Biarritz  . He noticed the Convertible on Copart  and decided to purchase the 1956 .  I am hoping he decides to keep the car for himself . I would love to own the car myself , but i am getting a little out of control and my pockets are not that deep .  I have to say it was a well cared for car in excellent condition and very original condition . the engine is immaculate , although we have not started it yet .  My question is  how does a car like this end up on a site like copart ? Does anybody know any thing about  this car it ?  Can not believe it was not part of the CLC family .It was purchased for just under 20,000 dollars . He already found a good hood and a grille  a  rough pair of fenders , still looking for a bumper .  The pictures i have attached shows the car the same day it arrived , very dusty and dirty but straight as an arrow . Any information about this car will be interesting .

Thanks ,

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Eldovert

Bill,
I found that car on that website (thanks Lou!) Couldn't quite pull the trigger with so many unknowns. I am glad your friend got a good deal.The insurance company must have settled with the owner and then auctioned it off to recover their costs.
I am sure someone out there knows more about this car.
Cheers,Pat MacPhail

Eldovert

Looks like the car has 1954 or '55 skirts with the matching trim on the lower quarters.
Cheers,Pat MacPhail

Bill Balkie 24172

Pat ,
  Thanks for your input , but i have to tell you i am laughing out loud reading your message under your name (  started with nothing and still have most of it )   i will use that for the rest of my life ,  it fits me perfectly ....and i am still laughing .  If i learn nothing from this thread i started i will always have that qoute

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

RossDeVore

Recently learned about coparts while looking for seventies Fleetwood Talismans. Saw the car and nearly went for it myself. Too many other interests though. You might note that there was a 59 biarritz on coparts from Montana and it was also on eBay for a different price so that has made me a bit leery. Frankly I'm just getting tired of getting bitten on buying cars lately. Just found a 1979 San Remo in Hawaii; called the guy, gave him his asking price, asked if I sent him a $500 deposit we had a deal?, He said yes, but then broke the deal after someone offered him way more than asking and would wire full funds. I'd never do that for any car. Just nuts.

Regards,

Ross DeVore
clc 21373

Cadcliff

There are some nice dry Western fenders in Maryland. I brought them from California last October and dropped them with Marc Tuwiner.
I brought a lot of Western sheet metal with me so you might call Marc and take a look...301 672-1000.

Years ago I also had a 56 Convertible and I used the 54-55 skirt and rear quarter lower trim, I think it looks great.
Cliff Graubard
CLC #1430

1955 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon x3
1956 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon- One of two
1955 Eldorado- bronze
1961 Cadillac Biarritz-bucket seats
1964 CDV- Silver/Red Every option
1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1940 and 1941 60S
1961 Cadillac Convertible
1965 Cadillac Convertible

veesixteen

Note the "gold" alloy sabre-spoke wheels. These were offered on Eldorado models in 1958. The "chrome" sabres was avaialble already in 1956.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Yann,
    I think you are wrong on the Sabre wheels only offered on 58 models . Gold were offered on years 56 and earlier . I think you will find this article very informitive .

http://classic-cadillac.com/cadillac-sabre-wheels-will-they-fit-on-your-model-year/59

Thanks Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

The Black 56 Cadillac purchased on Copart started right up and runs perfectly . This car is super  straight and clean inside and out .  All power options work fine . Windows , seats ,antena  and the wonder bar radio . The only thing that does not work is the power top , the motor works but might be low or leaking fluid .  It is a real shame this car was hit , but with a little TLC it will be back . Only the build sheet will tell if the sabre wheels were purchased with the car , however the center caps say Eldorado .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

veesixteen

You are right, Bill.  I looked up the catalogs and Data Books (optional gold in '56, chrome in '57 and '58).
I must be getting old; my memory is not what it used to be.

Bill Balkie 24172

Yann,
   Great Pictures. the reason i kinow about those wheels, is because i came across that article when i was looking to purchase a set of gold Sabre for my 57 Seville . found out they they would not fit without a front spacer . Because of the larger brake drum used in 1957 . And a wanted to keep my car original .

Have a great Day,
       Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Bill,

I have to, respectfully disagree with you statement:

"Gold were offered on years 56 and earlier."

HMN is incorrect, 56 was the only year of Gold Sabre/Turbine wheels...

So says my MPL

John  Washburn
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

veesixteen

I knew I had seen that "contradictory"  info somewhere.  It seems that the MPL disagrees with the catalogs and the Data Books.  I certainly would tend to turst the latter.
There's no denying, however, that the promo photo of the '56 Eldo Seville does show the car fitted with "gold" sabres.
Perhaps they were airbrushed on ... ?
Anyway, congrats to all for your knowledgeable inputs.

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello John ,  no problem , and thanks for correcting me . I thought it was for 55 as well  .  I wonder why 56 was the only year Gold was offered ?

Bill
Quote from: John Washburn CLC 1067 on March 20, 2012, 05:41:10 PM
Bill,

I have to, respectfully disagree with you statement:

"Gold were offered on years 56 and earlier."

HMN is incorrect, 56 was the only year of Gold Sabre/Turbine wheels...

So says my MPL

John  Washburn
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS