News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1954 lighting

Started by Frank Palacio, March 11, 2012, 09:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Palacio

Hello
As some of you may know, I purchased this 1954 62 Series Sedan one year ago this week.  She was a barn find, and I just got her back from the mechanic.  She is running smooth, but I have a couple of questions.  First of all, the oil indicator light comes on after the engine warms up a bit and when just idling.  Next, when the headlights are on, the right turn signal will not work.  When I have the headlights on and press the bright light button on the floor, no brights come on?  I had heard that this year had foglights, but I am not sure about it.  Anyway, I'm sure I'll have more questions.  Thanks for any advice.
Frank Palacio
Colorado

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Frank,

Are you a member of the Rocky Mountain Region Cadillac LaSalle Club?

You might want to join. We have only one memer, active, in Pueblo who might give you a hand if you want.

Also we are doing a tour of Pueblo from June 7th to the 10th if you want to join us.

Your problems, while not that difficult, need some hands on inspection and work.

Good Luck

John Washburn
Elizabeth, Colorado
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Glen

I’m not that familiar with this year car, but the description of your problem with the turn signal sounds like a bad ground.  You might find that the headlight and/or taillight (more likely the taillight) share a ground wire with the turn signal.  The ground wire will be disconnected or the area where the wire connects to the body is dirty or otherwise nonconductive.  When turned on individually each light is grounded through the other light.  When both lights are on neither one lights. 

HTH
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

pauldridge

Yes!

I just spent the better part of 3 days trouble-shooting an issue with my turn signals... wouldn't activate when headlights were on.

Finally turned out to be a bad ground in one of the rear taillights.  Electricity was feeding back through the taillight bulbs, and providing power to my elec. fuel pump when headlights were on, among other weird things.

Restored a solid ground, and all the problems went away.

Wiring for the high beams is pretty simple... power goes to the headlight switch down to the foot dimmer switch, and is then distributed to either high beam or low beam circuit.  I'd start there (at dimmer switch) with a meter, make sure power is available on the highbeam terminal when high beam in operation.  If power is there, then follow through to the headlight wiring.  Shouldn't be too hard
Phil Auldridge
Austin, TX
1940 60S as well as MGA, Stingray, '39 Ford Coupe, BMW 3.0 CS, '59 Jaguar, '51 Hudson Hornet, '64 and '70 Mercedes roadsters, and Nash-Healey LeMans Coupe
[img]http://www.auldridge.org/images/hdricon.jpg[/img]

Frank Palacio

Thank you!!!!  Fixed the turn signal problem.  Now for the bright lights.
Frank

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

From the photos of your car you have fog lights - they are operated by turning the ring at the base of your light switch when your lights are on [I can't remember if they only work when the headlights are on or also when the sidelights are on]. Do you have an Autronic Eye? - if you do there is a little switch next to the main floor dipswitch [it is part of the switch assembly] and this has to be pressed once to switch the main/dip beam to manual ie. over riding the Autronic Eye.
Phil