News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

SOS!!! - 59 Fleetwood Front Brake Line Routing

Started by Jeff Wilk, March 12, 2012, 09:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

I decided to finish the full brake replacement and upgrade to a dual master cylinder with a new set of stainless lines.  Smart move as in removing the rears they were full full full of rust and brown brake fluid.  Now the dilemma.....How in the world does anybody replace the line going to the passenger front tire that runs under the harmonic balancer and is routed in, through, and around about 7 other items under the hood and suspension????
:'(

Don't, please don't, say that you have to remove the engine........any other options for this line other going to a rear brakes only system  ;D

Flexible line?  Hose?  Removing the "one" item that will make the rest a snap?????

SOS!!!!

"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Jon Riley #13576

Hi Jeff,

I was able to get it to fit without removing the engine on my 1960 Cadillac.  I purchased the brake lines from inline tube.  It took a while, but it can be done.

Grant Owen

I find the easiest way to do it is to remove the body.  ;D
These Attachments might be of help.

Jeff Wilk

Now that is funny AND remarkable work!!  How long has your restoration been going on?  What model car?  Any before pictures to share?  The photos are a big help actually to see where the line goes. Now to just get it to cooperate!
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Gene Beaird

Just by looking at the pictures above, I'd think that by removing the front sway bar, you'd have pretty good access to the front of the frame, and could slip the end that goes back to the distribution block from the front.  You'll probably have to get the car off the ground so you can turn the line probably almost 90-degrees, but unless something is very much in the way, that's the route I'd attempt.  Perhaps it's a little less involved than the 'Step 1: remove engine' step indicated above. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873