News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Upholstery

Started by Mike Simmons 938, March 17, 2012, 11:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Simmons 938

Can anyone   recommend a really good upholsterer in the SF Bay area-someone who can do a pre-war car all the  way  from the basics of installing tack strip etc for a late 30s car that went through an acid-based stripper years ago?All the folks I used to know are no longer around. Does Armands in Walnut Creek still do cars like mine? Appreciate any suggestions. Mike Simmons,938, Marin.

gene harl

Hi... If you would be interested coming to Sparks Nv. ...I would recommend  Robert Edwards... 30 years exp. He did a very good job on my 51, seats headliner door panels and trunk at a reasonable price... KAR quality upholstery 775-657-6696.. for pictures look on facebook...www.Facebook.com/KarQualityUpholstery.....  Gene Harl   CLC 22406

Mike Simmons 938

Thank you, Gene.
A very worthwhile tip as I have a son living in Reno and we go see him and the family frequently. Next time we go up there, I'll make an appointment ahead of time to talk to Mr. Edwards.
Hope you don't mind me asking one more question. Do you know anyone up there who still shoots acrylic lacquer and  can blend into a preexisting paint job?
Mike Simmons

gene harl

I will check with a shop I know.. When in Reno you could stop at Reno brake,, they sell paint to all the local shops and may know someone who does that .. If you would like to  see some photos of my car and  upholstery,, send email to... rgeneharlemail addresses not permitted.. and I will reply whith a photo album...  Gene Harl  CLC 22406

baxterculver

On your way to Reno, you could stop in the Sacramento area, in Carmichael, at Biners--located on Wayside Lane.   Rich Biner has done Pebble Beach quality work and is willing to do a restoration job correctly.  He did my carpets in a '39 60S.  Also work on my  '65 Riviera.  Both were more than satisfactory and his prices are reasonable.
baxter culver clc#17184

markl

Mike,
In Walnut Creek, I would eschew Armand's in favor of Alex Auto Upholstery, just up the street off of North Main (1415 Autocenter Dr. 925-934-7997, AlexAutoUpholstery.com ).  His is a one man shop plus one helper working under his direct supervision.  He has done many vehicles for me and also friends and will get my 37 LaSalle when it gets to that stage.

I have seen several 30's era cars in his shop from time to time, and liked the quality of the work that was evident.

Mark Lowery, CLC#25216

jakevettori

Quote from: gene harl on March 19, 2012, 12:46:15 PM
Hi... If you would be interested coming to Sparks Nv. ...I would recommend  Robert Edwards... 30 years exp. He did a very good job on my 51, seats headliner door panels and trunk at a reasonable price... KAR quality upholstery 775-657-6696.. for pictures look on facebook...www.Facebook.com/KarQualityUpholstery.....  Gene Harl   CLC 22406

thanks gene....

Mike Simmons 938

Gene, Baxter, Mark- Thanks to all of you for some great info. Alex's shop is the closest so I'll probably get over there next week. Then Sacramento and finally Sparks. As soon as winter is over and the dry weather comes back, I'll get rolling. Will let you guys know how everything comes out.
And thanks again for the info.
mike  simmons