News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Air Conditioning in 59?

Started by Jeff Wilk, March 18, 2012, 11:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

We nearly have the entire front clip off the car (as part of replacing the front brake line ...... ;D   )and have FULL access to the A/C unit that is tucked away inside the passenger fender area.  I have the entire Heater/AC box off and have restored it.  QUESTION.....While I have this excellent access, what should I do or have done to this part of the unit???  I've had the car for 30 years and the AC never blew cold.  I did take the hoses off the compressor and was very surprised that there was still freon in the lines that came blowing out.  Lines look real clean as well. 

What should I do at this point?  Who can I send this unit too to test or rebuild along with the compressor now that it is all disconnected?

I really have NO CLUE on this system at all.....NEVER touched an AC before.........HELP!!!

"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

curly

Wow, still freon after all this time.  I'm surprised it hadn't leaked out by now.  If the system never blew cold for you, then I would suggest that although it had refrigerant, it was low.  The thermostatic expansion valve (TXV) may also have been stuck in the full open position.  While you have access, I would replace the TXV and either replace the Reciever/Dryer (mounted up by the radiator) or have it rebuilt.
Your 59 will have a 'Hot Gas Bypass' valve located near the compressor. Its job is to control the internal temperature.  You might look into a rebuild kit for it, but if it is not leaking you might be better off leaving it alone. 
I had my R/D rebuilt to preserve originality, but if that is not your goal, then aftermarket will be ok.

T Lewis

J I Garner CLC # 23406

Be sure the doors are not stuck and replace all the vacuum actuators while they are accessibble and I suspect it will work like new. I am assuming it is somewhat like the 62 models. In my younger days I owned a 1959 Fleetwood and wish I had it today. What a boat!
Jim

Jeff Wilk

I have done box with all new actuators and all doors work great. What is the unit tucked up inside the fender that all the compressor hoses run too?  What should i do with that now that it is fully accessible?

Southern New Jersey

SOLD
1958 Cadillac Sedan

curly

Quote from: Jeff Wilk on March 19, 2012, 12:10:29 PM
I have done box with all new actuators and all doors work great. What is the unit tucked up inside the fender that all the compressor hoses run too?  What should i do with that now that it is fully accessible?
That is where the evaporator and TXV are located.

T Lewis

Jeff Wilk

Do the evaporator and txv need to be serviced or rebuilt?  With it accessible, id rather have them checked out now if they typically need servicing or repair.

Southern New Jersey

SOLD
1958 Cadillac Sedan

dadscad

If I could take the evaporator out easily, I would have it cleaned and pressure tested. 53 years of accumulated dirt on the coil fins will hamper heat transfer. Be sure the drain tube on the evaporator box is soft and clear as well as the interior of the box clean of dirt and debris.

The expansion valve and sealing 0-rings should be replaced along with the filter screen on the inlet side of the valve.

Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille