News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

car trailers

Started by don berg, March 20, 2012, 07:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don berg

I have an 24 foot  2 axial car hauler. I would like to know if I can load an unload my 41 6267D cadillac with it not hooked up to my truck.  Thanks Don Berg

KD

Put the front wheel down and put blocks under the back, you should be able to. I've done it before
Ken D
Ken Dennison

1935 Auburn S/C Cabroilet
1940 Cadillac V16 7 passenger Imperial Sedan (9033)
1929 Ford Closed Cab Pick Up
1960 Austin Healey Sprite

gary griffin

Lots of variables on this one such as terrain, grade, balance point of the trailer and so forth.  Personally I would probably not try it with a car as heavy as a Cadillac without blocking the rear of the trailer and maybe the front. I would prefer to hook it to a tow vehicle and locate  it on the trailer to where there is slight positive hitch weight, block the trailer and then disconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle. What will happen if the trailer tilts back or if the tongue jack fails??
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

62droptop

not really recommend placing a car on a trailer unhooked
the trailer may roll just enough to case the ramps to kick out or cause the car to fall off

the only way i would even thonk of it is if i had 4 jackstands around the trailer,trailer brakes locked on, even then if trailer shifts,the stands will kick out

why do you want to drive it on unhooked?

Jim Stamper

There is a video of someone doing just that. Loading the car on the trailer caused the presumably unblocked trailer to go ahead and with the tongue in the air mount the tow vehicle that was parked ahead of it. The tow vehicle was apparently in neutral and the attacking trailer and loading car pushed the tow vehicle out of control..

If the very back end of that trailer isn't seriously blocked up, so it cannot sag, then that tongue on the trailer is going up in the air, fast. " The Teeter Totter Effect".  If the wheels aren't properly chocked, fore and aft, there is a great likely hood that the trailer is not going to stay in one place.

I sold a 29 Cadillac to someone once and they brought a decent pickup to tow their trailer and car back home. Driving the car onto the trailer brought on the "Teeter Totter Effect" and the rear wheels of their truck came nearly off of the ground. Back off of the trailer with the car, some wood blocks under the back end of the trailer, and on it went, no problem. Physics will bite you where it hurts every time during shortcuts. Hook it to  a tow vehicle and put blocks under the back of the trailer. Those trailer wheels are a fulcrum. Better safe than sorry.  Of course, what you suggest can be done but why take risks that aren't necessary? Jim Stamper CLC#13470

don berg

Thanks to all who repled . Don

R Schroeder

I guess you could watch this and decide for yourself. Watch the trailer flop around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z4THb7R9OM&feature=related