News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1930 Cadillac frame

Started by drbrommerich, March 20, 2012, 08:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drbrommerich

Where would the serial number be stamped in the frame of a 1930 Cadillac frame? I am applying for a title and I need this number.  Thankyou
David Brommerich,CLC#23661
1930 Cadillac 4-dr Sedan
1930 Cadillac 4-dr Sport Phaeton

Johan Boltendal #158

on the cross member below the radiator on the left side  Johan

Ross Morgan #22943

Here's a photo of the exact location (under the two rivets next to the bent rod).

Regards, Ross.

Wayne Womble 12210

The number on the frame is not the serial number, it is only a unit number.  The serial number should be the original engine number.

drbrommerich

Thanks for helping me out on this. The numbers were painted over and would have been very difficult to find.  Dave
1930 Cadillac 4-dr Sedan

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

David,
Just to clarify things, the frame # is not the # that Cadillac used to ID the cars. Cadillac used the motor #. In most cases, that frame # is not even close to the motor # and it doesn't have enough digits. So... if you have the original motor, try to register the car with that #. Even if you have to sign a statement or get something notorized.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

drbrommerich

I am having the State Dept inspect the car on Tuesday 3/26 so I will let everyone know what they said.  Dave
1930 Cadillac 4-dr Sedan

Wayne Womble 12210

In case your inspector is too young to know how things were back then, there was no standardization in vehicle serial numbers until 1954.  Until that time manufacturers used various things for serial numbers. But the most common was the engine number.  This is why early laws in most states were so anal about engine changes. The serial numbers of the original engines were the official numbers, and if the engine was changed it was a serious thing. 

Glen

For the last couple of months I’ve been helping with the overhaul of a Ford flathead V8.  We spent some time trying to find the serial number on that thing.  We then found out Ford in that era did not put serial numbers on their engines just because of those laws.  The number used to ID the car was stamped on the frame (I think). 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

drbrommerich

The State came over and looked at the car. I printed out all of the info I recieved from the Forum, Showed him in the Cadillac & LaSalle Members book that the serial number from the motor was correct for 1930, and I had a copy of the build sheet from Media Archive of the car. I should know something in about a month.  Thanks again for everyones help.  Dave
1930 Cadillac 4-dr Sedan

drbrommerich

The state came today 4/21/12 and riveted a serial # on the body. The paperwork will come eventualy in the mail. Everything seems to be in order.
1930 Cadillac 4-dr Sedan