News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

My thoughts.

Started by robailey, March 22, 2012, 11:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robailey

I just bought a 2009 DTS. It is a beautiful car and is a pleasure to drive. I love it. My question is when did Cadillac stop being a true luxury car. I guess I miss the days when Cadillac was the "Standard of Luxury"
Seems that today the goal is to have an American made BMW. It was that standare that caused me to  love Cadillac's since I was a child. I guess the days of watching the long elegant cars with their breath taking colors are a thing of the past. I still love Cadillac, but wish they would once again look to the past.
Rob Ailey
Seymour, TN

1975 Coupe Deville
1987 Fleetwood Sixty Special
2014 XTS

C.R. Patton II

Hello Rob

I understand your point of view. The engineers at Cadillac are designing fantastic products for  global competition. We remain the Standard of the World.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Glen

Does anybody make a luxury car in the same way that Cadillac did?  I think most of the so called luxury cars now are BMW clones. 

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

TonyZappone #2624

I too have a 2002 DTS that I bought brand new.  It now has 90 some thousand miles on the odometer.  Most people think it is a new car because it looks so nice.  The fact that it doesn't get driven in the winter helps a lot.  I don't know what I would replace it with.  I have noticed the Hyundai Equus or even the Genesis.  I really think that a part of me would die if I had to buy a car like that.  One of the kids has a BMW 535, it drives nicely, but it doesn't cut it with me, it just feels weird.  Maybe too many of us are getting old and are unwilling to change.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

jock82

I thought I was the only one who felt this way.  I, too, have a 2009 DTS and I love the car but I am afraid this is the last newer Cadillac I will ever buy.  I certainly do not like the new XTS.  I have never cared for a BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, or any other foreign automobile.  I have one friend who has a BMW and one who has a Mercedes.  I have not driven either one but I have ridden in them and that was enough for me.  I guess I don't want change because I like big cars and probably always will.  i have been a Cadillac fan since 1957 and have only had Cadilacs .  I wish I still had my first car, a 1970 Coupe de Ville.

Guy Moore CLC 12650
1989 Sedan de Ville
1994 Concours
2009 DTS'
1976 Olds 98 Regency

Guy Moore CLC# 12650

76eldo

That's why a lot of guys in the club have their "show" cars and also keep a nice Brougham around.

I like the DTS too, but never drove one.  I would think that this is still a big luxurious car, but the final RWD versions of the Fleetwood and Brougham would have to be considered the last of something...

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

RussK

I have had a lot of Cadillac’s; my first one was a 92 Eldorado, followed by three STSs

I didn’t care for the North Star as much as I liked the 4.9. To me it was a better driving motor. The 4.9 had more low and mid range grunt, you didn’t have to down shift to pass, even though the North Star was quicker, it wasn’t as drivable in my opinion.
So I got away from Cadillac and owned a Mercedes for a few a while.

But only in the last few years have I really started looking at getting another new Cadillac
I like the way they are going, I think they have to compete with Mercedes BMW,
They are more high performance luxury cars now, but that’s more my style.
I busted a lot of cars butts with my Eldorado and STSs , and mostly on curvy mountain roads. I like cars that handle, go fast , and look good
Right now Cadillac is kicking there buts on and off the tracks
Russell kidd