News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

39 LaSalle Build Records?

Started by revgawright, March 24, 2012, 06:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revgawright

I just received the "Build Records" from the GM Media Archive, and am disappointed to say the least. Here is a scan of the sheet:

https://f1.ctsmemberconnect.net/garoupdb/O-0000000932/G-0000025738/docs/Root/39LASinvoice.pdf

How can this be call a build record? It looks like a dealer invoice, not build records to me. Did I get ripped off? This doesn't give me any more information than I can get from the plaque on my car, seen here:

https://f1.ctsmemberconnect.net/garoupdb/O-0000000932/G-0000025738/docs/Root/39LASplate.jpg

The only other thing included in the mailing was two xeroxed pages from the 2007 CLC directory explaining how to "decode" the plate. Of course, as a CLC member I already had access to this. This surely isn't worth fifty hard earned bucks! It doesn't even give the date of manufacture. This is a build sheet, is it? Anyone have any thoughts? I doubt they will give me a refund. P.T. Barnum was right when he said "There's a sucker born every minute."
G. A. Wright
Restitutio ad integrum!!!

Steve Passmore

I dont think your the only one who doesn't think its value for money.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

C.R. Patton II

Hello Gary

I understand how you feel.

The invoice you received is a very important document to validate the originality of your vehicle. You should include it in your portfolio or display at exhibitions and shows. I would also suggest that you acquire the LaSalle Companion Car book as a research text to decoding your document , and learning the history of our brand.

If I may be of service please do not hesitate to inquire.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Martin Michaels

Hi Gary, I've been waiting for my build sheet for about 3 months now, they keep saying were busy it should be there in 2 weeks. I'm not sure if I am getting more by getting nothing from Allied Vaughn. I'll be waiting but I won't hold my breath. Marty
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

Richardonly

Gentlmen,

I posted this same question about acquireing a build sheet and/or dealer invoice several months ago.  I saw a nice one at a NERCLC meet last summer on a 1947 limo which peaked my interest in the item.

The answers I received in the Forum was NOT to buy it as it was a photocopy of poor quality and little information.  Certainly not something you would want to display on your fine automobile.

I followed their advice and did NOT buy it.

With no disrespect intended, I would not want what I saw in the item you received.  And certainly not worth $50.00.

If it were me, I would try to get my money back as they knew they were selling you something of little value.  What did the ad read?  Could this be of interest to the Federal Government as an ad intended to defraud?

You are not the only one who is unhappy with their product.  If I can find my old blog, I shall attach the link.

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Richardonly

This was my post and answers to it.  It also included some people and companies that do a "good" job of what you "may" be looking for.

http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php?topic=117168.msg193377#msg193377
1995 Jaguar XJ6

revgawright

Quote from: Martin Michaels on March 25, 2012, 04:47:04 AM
Hi Gary, I've been waiting for my build sheet for about 3 months now... Marty

Marty,

Something doesn't seem right here. I didn't want to send my credit card info. on-line, so I snail-mailed a check on March 3 and received the so-called build sheet yesterday (March 24). You certainly should have received something by now. Sounds like they are stringing you along. That's a 3 week turn around. Three months sounds fishy. 

GAW
G. A. Wright

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Mr. Wright & others,
I agree that $50 is too much for the document. I also agree that it is an important document on the history of a car.
However, that document is NOT a build sheet, it's an invoice. I've spent lots of time on this board trying to get people to STOP calling it a build sheet. A build sheet is a document you get on a 67 Corvette or like high dollar car to prove its provanance. There is a lot of information on that invoice. Enjoy it for what it is. I am very grateful to Ansel Sackett for having the foresight to preserve all those documents.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Richardonly

Bob,

If this is NOT a build sheet but is "suppose' to be a dealer invoice, it would have been nice to see what dealer it was shipped to.

Were those the retail prices for a 1939?  I do not know, so I am curious about that.

The plate on Revcawright's car pretty much said the same thing and at least that is metal.  :)

Thank you, Richard
1995 Jaguar XJ6

Tito Sobrinho

During the 1989 CLC Grand National in Boston (Newton) I had the opportunity to meet Ansel Sackett. I just gave him my car VIN and year.
Twenty days later, I received the invoice free of charge from him and I discovered that my car was delivered on 12/16/1948 by train to Cincinnati, Ohio.
What a great gentleman he was!
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Richard,
It does say where it was shipped. Cadillac Motor Car, NY branch. They were a distributor & may have then shipped it to one of the dealers in their territory. That's how the system worked at the time.
The prices shown are dealer cost. I'm not sure what the selling price was. The invoice would help Mr. Wright if he wondered if his car came with running boards because his data plate wouldn't show that.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Richardonly

Bob, 

Thank you for the information on where it was shipped to, although the retail dealer certainly would be nice, and that the prices listed were for the distributor or dealer and NOT the retail price.
The more I participate in the forum, the more I learn.
As for paying $50.00 to find out if the car was built with running boards, my opinion is this; If there is none on the car at present, the metal plate would not disprove it.
If the braces for them remained, or the running boards in their entirety remained, that would answer that question EXCEPT if they were installed at the factory.
Myself, I would not pay $50.00 to find that out.  I only wanted the dealer invoice for the fun of it as my car, although in beautiful condition, and pretty much unrestored, has had many modifications over the years that I would prefer to keep rather than bringing it back to factory fresh. 
I refer to more modern spark plug wires, an electric fuel pump, a non factory battery and perhaps tires which may be the incorrect brand.

OK, I am getting long winded as I tend to do when I speak of my car, which I waited 20 years to buy, so I shall once again THANK YOU and wish you many happy, enjoyable miles, Richard
1995 Jaguar XJ6

revgawright

From Cadillac Motor Car, NY branch I assume that it was shipped to "Woodward Sales and Service." I have no idea where in New York that would have been, but I believe that the dealer sticker on my car is from the original dealer. Here's another scan of the trunk with the dealer info:

https://f1.ctsmemberconnect.net/garoupdb/O-0000000932/G-0000025738/docs/Root/DSCN9503.jpg

I've googled this name, and nothing comes up. I doubt that it is still in existence. Anyone from NY heard of it?

GAW

G. A. Wright

Martin Michaels

Gary, I talked to the people at Allied Vaughn she told me she does not know why I never received my papers she said she would mail them out right then. I will post what I received asap. I sent my 50.00 in on 12/30/2011
    Marty
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White