News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Source for window wiping seal 1941 60S

Started by Paul Phillips, March 27, 2012, 01:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Phillips

Can someone please point me to a source for the unique outer wiping seal on the 60S?  This is a piece of bright trim approx 3/4" tall that has the 'cat whiskers' wiping seal incorporated within.  It mounts to the door skin flange, then stands proud of the skin to leave a bright trimof approx 1/4 to 3/8".

Thanks
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Don Boshara #594

I believe what you are looking for is called a "belt weathersrip without stainless steel bead" and is available from Restoration Specialties. The stainless steel strip that retains this and is held with screws to the outer door skin would have to come from a 38-41 60 Special if you don't have it. This is what I remember from replacing mine about 30 years ago.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

Paul Phillips

Thanks Don - that is very helpful.  3 of the doors can probably re-use the original stainless strip, but one was in poor shape.  Does anyone repro that, or is it time to look for used?

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

pauldridge

Paul,

I'm just in the process of replacing mine ('40 60 special).  The fuzzies that I got from Steele won't work on the outside, they are too small to attach to the stainless strip as you describe.

I was able to clean out the old fuzzy strip from my outer stainless (fortunately, mine are in good shape).  They ARE stainless, so unless someone has horribly buggered then up, they should easily polish up.

You will need to bend the flange at the bottom of the stainless strip to get the old steel-backed fuzzy out of there.  If yours looks rusty on the back, it's almost certainly just that metal backing for the fuzzy, and it will eventually come out of there.

I had some fuzzy strips left over from a vintage Ferrari restoration.  They have a small fuzzy on top, as part of a 1 inch wide strip, which will be perfect to be held by the lower mounting screws of the stainless piece.  I plan on gluing the strip to the stainless, then securing it with the screws at the bottom.  Should be plenty of similar material out there.
Phil Auldridge
Austin, TX
1940 60S as well as MGA, Stingray, '39 Ford Coupe, BMW 3.0 CS, '59 Jaguar, '51 Hudson Hornet, '64 and '70 Mercedes roadsters, and Nash-Healey LeMans Coupe
[img]http://www.auldridge.org/images/hdricon.jpg[/img]

David King (kz78hy)

Here is a bookmarked site that I would use when the time comes.

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/Catalog-PDF.html

For what it's worth, might want to check it out.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter