News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Spacer that goes between Crankshaft and Hydramatic converter 1956 > 1962

Started by joe Staus, March 30, 2012, 07:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe Staus

Anyone know the thickness and  material that the engine to Transmission "Spacer" ?????  (Manual shows it inside the Crankshaft's 1.620" diameter hole in the end).    I see it mentioned  in several manuals, but  never have seen one in person.   My '60 doesn't have one but I believe it did 50 years ago.      :)
1960 fleetwood - I've owned it half it's "life"

J. Gomez

Joe,

The MPL shows a gasket that goes between the flywheel and the crankshaft for 1946-1955 Hydra-matic nothing that I can find for the 1956-1965 Hydra-matic/Jetaway type.

Do you have a picture or a reference from the manuals showing the piece?
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

curly

I tried chasing that spacer down a few months ago after it was suggested that a lack of the spacer might be responsible for a vibration I am fighting.  I contacted several companies and people that this board suggested, and no one I contacted knew of of this spacer.

T. Lewis

1960 coupe de ville

Jason Gendrolius.

Grant Owen

This spacer is essential or you will get vibrations they are quite often missing as they can drop out when the Motor or Trans are removed.
I machined a few spacers a couple of years ago but I have none left I was planning on making a few more latter on.
From memory they are about 1 9/16" wide 3/16" thick they have a beveled edge with a small hole in the centre.

J. Gomez

Oops, I stand corrected the spacer is under group 0.669 for 1957-1962 part 146 8064, it looks like a dowel..!  :o

Thanks Grant for the 411..!

Learning new interesting things everyday..!   :)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Dave Shepherd

Grant Owen

It is not a Dowel it is a round Disc see attached pic.

J. Gomez

Well apparently the MPL up to 1964 has the part listed but not the picture, so it is one of those MIA from the MPL picturial side..!!!  ???
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

joe Staus

;D    Thanks Everyone!!!   I appreciate all the feedback!  I'll fabricate one 1/8" thick and  try it out.   (I'm afraid to go the full 3/16"  per Grant Owen,  since it has run without it before.)     
1960 fleetwood - I've owned it half it's "life"

Dave Shepherd

Quote from: Grant Owen on March 31, 2012, 05:08:58 PM
It is not a Dowel it is a round Disc see attached pic.
I was looking at the .0669 dowel.  BTW where is the spacer in that picture?

The Tassie Devil(le)

The Spacer is the round disc, with the hole in the centre.

When I pulled the trans off my engine, and found the disc on the ground, I couldn't figure out where it came from, but after looking around, at pictures in the Manual, I finally found where it went.   Or, actually came from.   The end of the Crankshaft was the only place where it would fit.

I believe it is there to apply pressure to the Drive Plate, when it is bolted up, thus placing the Ring Gear in its' correct position in relation to the Starter Bendix.

Without this spacer, there is every likelihood that the Ring Gear could move forward and backwards un-tensioned whilst the engine is being started.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon