News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What to do?

Started by Streetsweet, April 01, 2012, 12:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Streetsweet

I have a 1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Conv.  It is beautiful and in fair-good condition.  It is in need of air condition, heat, maybe transmission, few cosmetics as driver mirror, ash tray and also a horn.  It currently cranks and I do drive for short distances to keep it running.  My problem is this is a matching number car with all original parts etc.  I want to be able to drive this car so I have been told to put a new engine and brake system etc and enjoy.  However I don't want to do anything to the originality of this vehicle that would devalue it.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Love my caddy's. 

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

First of all welcome to the forum. Lots of valuable information here.

As far as your parts needs are concerned, there are numerous vendors for nearly every mechanical part as well as rebuild services for those that are not available. For the brake system, you may want to check with Kanter Auto Parts. Cosmetic parts like ash trays and other various trim parts, you may want to check with McVey's. Both have online catalogues. There are other sources for A/C which had been discussed recently on which other members may have more information. You might also want to pick up a copy of Hemmings Motor News as well. 

As far as the engine goes- I would much rather have it rebuilt if that's what it needs as opposed to swapping with another which, in all likelihood would also need rebuilt. Same goes for the transmission as well. Cadillac engines bear the VIN stamped into the block casting therefore the substitution with another will always be detectable- which could have some negative implications to the car's value.

A 1958 Biarritz is a very rare and desireable model and I wholeheartedly agree with your objective of restoring the car while keeping originality a priority.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
   It is my opinion to keep the car original , If you rebuild your brake system  and go with a complete engine rebuild your car will drive beautiful .  installing another engine will also have it's own challenges , and then you will have to store the original engine , always the chance of losing parts .That car will be very dependable and a pleasure to drive  keeping it original . The real challenges  with the 57 / 58 Biarritz is finding bumpers , interior parts , quarter panels , and all the special trim .  The things you want to rebuild  ( engine , heater , brake system )are the easy things .  Just My Opinion .. Good Luck   would love to see a picture of the car

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Cadillac Nut

Hi,
Great car! You are lucky to own one.  My advice is to keep the car original.  Always keep a car original if you can, especially a rare and highly desirable model like this.  Have the engine and transmission rebuilt instead of replaced.  You can buy the all the necessary parts to rebuild the brake system just about anywhere.  Kanter, as previously mentioned, has them, also OPGI, and several other online car part companies (rockauto is one I like)  You can either replace or rebuild the master cylinder.   Try OPGI for the mirror and ash tray or McVey's, they have parts listed by year, there are ton for '58.  If you want an original horn, try E-bay or Hemmings.  I am not sure if anyone makes a new, original style horn for '58.  Horn rebuilders might have one in stock, or if you have your old one they can rebuild it.  A/C parts can be hard to find, depends on what you need.  There are A/C compressor rebuilders and several compaines specialize just in classic car air conditioning and heat.  Look in Hemmings, there should be a few advertising.  Good luck with the car, I wish you the best.

Garrett Baker