News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Bomberger Cadillac Co. Lancaster Pa.

Started by Martin Michaels, April 02, 2012, 10:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Michaels

Hello all, I purchased my 1947 series 62 4 door in Rochester N.Y. last summer,the odometer showed 37,500 miles.I thought with the low miles it would have been sold here. I received my as built paper from Allied Vaughn they show it was shipped to Bomberger Cadillac Co. of Lancaster Pa.. I've tried to find them to no avail. Does anyone know of this dealership and the years it was in service. Thank you for any feed back. Marty M
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Marty,

I live in Lancaster, but have never heard of a Cadillac dealership by this name.  I will place a note in the next Central Pennsylvania Region CLC newsletter to ask whether any of our members have any knowledge of it.

Richard Sills

Martin Michaels

Thanks Richard,could Kelly Cadillac  have taken over Bomberger  Cadillac? Marty
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Kelly Cadillac is the successor to Richard Cadillac, which was located in downtown Lancaster.   (I have a '79 Fleetwood sold new at Richard Cadillac -- that may have been shortly before the dealership transferred to Kelly Cadillac.)  Richard Cadillac, in turn, was the successor to Groff Cadillac.  I don't know when Groff Cadillac was founded, but back in the 20s, the dealership was called Cadillac Co. of Lancaster. 

I don't know the exact date of each transition, but your inquiry has encouraged me to do some research.  There may have been other names in between Cadillac Co. of Lancaster and Groff Cadillac.  If I find out anything about Bomberger Cadillac, I will let you know.

Richard

Martin Michaels

Richard,thanks for the help,what I will do next is call Allied Vaughn and see if they have some kind of list of dealers and what years they were in operation.I will post if I find anything out. Marty
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

nannygoat

Hope this helps. I found a listing through my ancestry.com membership for the 1946 Lancaster, Pa. City Directory for Bomberger Cadillac-
LaSalle Co. showing Lloyd H. Bomberger as Pres., Amos G. Peifer as VP and Service Manager, C. E. Wissler, Sec./Treasurer. The Sales
and Service location is listed at 210 N Lime Street and the Used Car Dept. is at 113 N Cherry Street. Nancy Karns

nannygoat

Hi, Nancy Karns again. A search I did yesterday of the Pennsylvania Dept. of State list of corporations shows that Bomberger Cadillac (Co.) corporation was dissolved 10/9/1950. Their business address at the time they dissolved was 509 W. King Street, Lancaster, Pa.

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Thanks for the historical research -- that is interesting information which I will pass along to our local Central Penn Region CLC.

Richard Sills

Martin Michaels

Hello Nancy, Thank you for the info next I might try to find out how my '47 went from Lancaster Pa. to Rochester NY. Thanks again Marty M.
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green