News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Thermostatic heater control valve

Started by DTBass, April 06, 2012, 04:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTBass

Ok well I wondered if anyone knows where I could find the parts necessary to rebuild the heater control valve in the heater box in my 1957 Cadillac.  I know that there are people out there that perform this service but to me seems rather expensive (in excess of 100 clams).  I'm on a budget not to mention I enjoy working on this old girl.  The valve is sitting on my bench and doesn't look all that bad I just don't know where to find the rubber parts within the valve.  Thanks in advance for any input, Doug
1917 Maxwell
1948 Oldsmobile
1954 Chrysler New Yorker
1957 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
1966 Mustang

J. Gomez

Quote from: DTBass on April 06, 2012, 04:36:42 PM
Ok well I wondered if anyone knows where I could find the parts necessary to rebuild the heater control valve in the heater box in my 1957 Cadillac.  I know that there are people out there that perform this service but to me seems rather expensive (in excess of 100 clams).  I'm on a budget not to mention I enjoy working on this old girl.  The valve is sitting on my bench and doesn't look all that bad I just don't know where to find the rubber parts within the valve.  Thanks in advance for any input, Doug

Douglas,

I rebuilt my 1956 and I made a tech tip document with all the details, part #, steps, etc which I could send it over via a PM.

Just send me your email.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Paul Tesone

J - could you please send me a copy of the document as well ? I think I'm going to have a similar problem . Thanks , Paul Tesone - CLC #6876 ...tess352@yahoo.com

J. Gomez

Quote from: Paul Tesone on April 06, 2012, 11:05:21 PM
J - could you please send me a copy of the document as well ? I think I'm going to have a similar problem . Thanks , Paul Tesone - CLC #6876 ...tess352@yahoo.com

Paul,

The email you posted show as ...tess352, not sure that is correct. I send the file over to tess352 without the “.”.  I could resend to the one you posted, just let me know.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Paul Tesone

Jose - I received it and sent you an email. Thanks again, Paul .CLC #6876

hunskjaer

please send me a copy of the document as well I have the same problem . my email is hunskjaer@outlook.dk

Thx

Cadman-iac

I did mine about a year ago, but unfortunately I didn't take any pictures,  but I can tell you that I used a rubber seal from a new  Chevy one that I had gotten cheap. 
I will say that you need to be very careful about the copper tabs because they will break off and then the valve is useless.
The other thing that you need to watch is how the main mounting plate goes on. I did a second  one and wasn't paying attention and put the plate on backwards. I'm afraid to try to correct it now for fear that the tabs will not hold or worse, break off.
I would like a copy of that file too if at all possible.
Thanks.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

gkhashem

Another 8 year old thread from the dead.

Bob Hoffman please do not get upset at another old thread!  But I do understand the feeling.  ;D
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Cadman-iac

Quote from: gkhashem on January 04, 2020, 04:05:24 PM
Another 8 year old thread from the dead.

Bob Hoffman please do not get upset at another old thread!  But I do understand the feeling.  ;D
LOL !
I guess it's a good idea to look at the first post before making a comment huh?
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

TJ Hopland

At least the 2 main people with the info in the thread still appear to be at least visiting the site.    It seems like most times this happens the people with the info are no longer around for one reason or another. 

If you are considering bringing up and old thread and especially when you hope to get a response from a specific person just click on their name at the left and look and see when the last time they were online was.   If its been weeks pretty good chance you will get a reply.  If its been years its pretty unlikely.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason