News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Buying a car thats 3000 mile away. In God we trust, all others pay cash??

Started by Mike Baillargeon #15848, April 08, 2012, 11:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stamper

I have bought a number of cars from pictures. I usually feel some sort of trust for the seller.  The only time I did not the guy put the rush on me by saying someone else was after the car. I should have quit there, But I bought it. It was a very nice appearing car, but smoked terribly, which was a misrepresentation.  I never enjoyed that car.  I failed to go with my gut on that one.  Buy the ticket or let it go. Your gut is already talking to it sounds like.

Jim Stamper CLC#13470

R Sotardi #11719

About 14 years ago, I spotted a 1934 Desoto SE for sale in Old Cars Weekly. Ad stated flawless 34 Airflow $13,500 firm. I, with out haste, went to the phone to call the seller, an old timer near Portland Or. OK ... I have a modified list of questions that I ask whenever I am interested in a car that is a plane trip away. It is basicly a list that dealers or mechanics use when doing a good once over on a car for a customer. It is modified to relate to vintage cars, such as, is the interior original? or do the engine numbers match? etc. This is of course no gaurantee, but if the seller answers the questions less than positively ( listen well to his voice and demeanor) or states he "does not know", then you may decide to pass, or buy that plane ticket. After I spoke to the owner his flawless Airflow was at best a number 3 car. Average price for that condition... Then add at least 10% more for repairs that will most definitely come. A few months later, a friend of mine bought that exact same Desoto sight unseen, only from a different owner who lived in Aberdeen WA. When the Airflow arrived the brakes were locked up and the car over all was decent(#4) but would need a full restoration to get it to  a number 1-. IMO, Do not pay for  a car in full with out seeing it. Even appraisers can be over optimistic, and charge about what a plane ticket would cost. Ron

Bob Kielar

Hello,
          I bought a car from Shreveport LA. and I live in Wisconsin. We did it with pay pal they gave me photos of the car being loaded and of the shipping manifest I also called the shipping company and they verified they had position of the car. Once I had that I sent them the money using pay pal. I used DAS to ship the car one reason is that they have gps on there trucks so you know where it is at all times.

Hope this helps
Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

76eldo

I would never allow a car I was selling to be loaded on a truck unless I was paid in full. Paypal is ok for receiving deposits but the payment can be reversed and sucked right out of your account by the buyer if they contact paypal and claim "not as described".

Paypal is not a good method if you are selling a car.

Give a club member  a $100 to eyeball the car, hire an inspection service of fly out and look at the car.
Other than that you need blind faith.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

dino

Hi Mike
Just curious, what type of car are you interested in buying that you can't find one here on the east coast?  I would never buy a car I could not personally inspect.  Cash and keys are exchanged at the same time , face to face.                         Dino
D.Martini
1954 6237DX  CDV
1956 6267X  CCP

1960 6267X  CCP

robert G. smits

Mike, a lot of good advice so far.  I have two brief points;
1  If you were comfortable with the transaction you wouldn't be asking for advice.
2  Look at it as if you were in Los Vagus.  How much money can you afford to lose if your gamble fails.  If the money at risk is within your tolerance limits, go for it.

Bob Smits #2426
R. Smits, #2426
23 Cad 7P Touring
32 Cad 5P Coupe
38 Cad 90 Series
41 Cad 63 Series
58 Cad Eldo Barritz
The average man can take care of one Woman and two Cadillacs, Al Edmond AACA Past President