News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Door handle

Started by Martin Michaels, April 08, 2012, 01:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Michaels

Happy Easter, I have a 1947 series 62 sedan,the passenger door handle does not work, it justs flops around. The manuals I have are not that clear on what to do. I am not sure if some linkage has fallen off or it is broke? Thanks for any help. Marty
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

Bill Ingler #7799

More than likely the handle spring in the dock lock assembly is broken. Take a look at the attached picture. It is the spring in the upper left part of the lock assembly. It also could be that the handle is loose from the shaft. Look under the weather stripping on the door under the latch. Peal back the weather striping and you will see a very small set screw which holds the handle and shaft. Loose the set screw and the handle will pull out of the latch assembly. Then you can see if the handle is firmly fixed to the handle shaft.   Bill

Richardonly

I lost the use of mine due to some linkage coming disconnected.

Once the door panel was off, it was easy to see and easy to put back together.  That was 2 months ago and it is still fine.

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Martin Michaels

Thanks Bill and Richard, after looking at the picture I saw a loose piece was not in position made corrections and it now works. Now I am left with droopy handle syndrome,I saw a post a while back how to fix this I will try and find it. Thanks again. Marty Michaels
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

Richardonly

Marty, 

Had 3 of mine repaired using the kits from ALLCADS and left the driver's which was fine.  After the 3 were fixed, I found that the driver's was NOT fine and has just been repaired and awaiting pickup this Monday.

I did NOT do the job myself and was told it was quite a project by the repair shop (generaly speaking).

Here is the listing for a 1948 (mine) and they may have one for the 1947, but you must call and ask.

http://www.allcads.com/1949cadillacparts

The part lists for $50.00 + 17.89 shipping, so about $70.00 each.  The driver's side and passanger side parts are different, so 2 of each are needed.

The post about sagging door handles was mine, but I cannot figure out how to find it.

Best of luck, Richard
1995 Jaguar XJ6

Richardonly

1995 Jaguar XJ6

Martin Michaels

Thanks Richard, went to alcads and I see he has them for '48s nut sure about '47s. Richard did youb get the old parts back from your garage, I was just wondering what the problem is that might help me on how to repair one in my garage. Funds are running a little low right now if you go to restore section you will see where my funds are going right now.If I can save a buck doing what I can do will save funds for what I have to ship out. Well happy motoring this season. Marty M.
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

Richardonly

Marty,

Not good news, as these parts appear to be subject to wear.

I did get the original 3 back and can see that they were worn.  That is why they work, but droop.

They are only (on mine) a small part, about and inch long.

On the bright side, if yours are working, they can be left for the time being.  Also when they are fixed, that should be the end of that problem as we do NOT use these cars as they were used (as often) when they were the original owner's only means of transportation.

So many cars with this problem, I assume, caused GM to switch to the handle with a button only a few years latter.

Lastly, the page I sent WAS for the 1948 so you could see what the part looked like.  By changing the model year at the top of their ad page to 1947, you can see some parts that they have for yours.  NOT all parts are shown and that is why I suggested you call for availablity and cost.  Best of luck and don't give up.  Each day the car gets older , and that is a good thing.

Regards, Richard
1995 Jaguar XJ6

Martin Michaels

Thanks Richard, the good thing I have it working no more opening up the rear door first. I can live with it for now , I have a lot more important things that need attention first. I would like to be motoring by this June,alot more motor,tranny and brake work to be done. Marty
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green