News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Need help for 1973 Eldo pace car replica authentication

Started by Corto, April 11, 2012, 05:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corto

Hello,
I am new here, just recently discovered this forum and I am happy that there are so many great people here and very helpful discussions.

Since 2 years I have 1975 Eldo coupe, and now I have a chance to buy one 1973 Eldo convertible that seems to be pace car replica.

I have seen here that Tim Pawl is the author of the Authenticity  manual, but unfortunately I could not reach him.
I would be very grateful if anybody else having the manual can check if this car is a real replica.

The VIN is 6L67S3Q432183

Thank you
Corto

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

corto,
I have sent you two (2) responses to your question for which you have not responded as having received.

First, the VIN in question does NOT show up on the list of Pace Cars or Replicas. I personally recorded the serial numbers from the Cadillac Special Build sheets for 1973.   If the seller of the car has the original Maroney window sticker, a trace of the vehicle body tag from the cowl and an original spare tire from which he could provide codes, I would be able to authenticate .  There was a special option code for Pace Car Decor........and the special tires (either Goodyear or Firestone) were only available with the car when new (there were no service tires produced).  White with red interior was the most popular combination in 1973 with over 3000 of the total 9500 1973 convertibles in that color combination.  However, there were only 566 Pace Car decor optioned cars per my research of which only 53 were used at the track and all are well documented right down to the key codes of the door and trunklid! ........ the dash plaques were available  as a service part so just having a dash plaque is NOT an indicator of a real car.  There have been many imposters identified.  I have seen these dash plaques on cars build prior to January of 1973 and  the styling department did not announce that color combination for Pace Cars until First publically shown on January 14, 1973 !       Please contact me to discuss further.    If you are interested in these cars you should purchase the Authenticity Manual from the CLC for these cars at it describes in the utmost detail the history, build variances, and serial numbers of all the cars produced.    Tim Pawl CLC #4383

Corto

Hello Tim,
thank you very much for your answer. I do not know what went wrong with your responses, I haven't received them.

Anyway, I like this car, its shape, color combo, convertible,....., not being an original pace car replica is not so critical for me, although I was ready to pay some premium as collectible value.
I will check for those details.
Regarding the Authenticity manual, is  it available in electronic form for download?
I am going to check this car by the end of the next week, and would like to prepare the check according to details in the Manual.
Since I am from Europe/Austria, I am not sure the paper form can be delivered in one week....

Thanks,
Corto

Corto

The car was sold today.......pity, .........I was very interested, there are not too much of such cars here in Europe.

Tim, thanks anyway, maybe one real replica will pop up some when...