News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

vehicle compliance

Started by m anderson, April 12, 2012, 06:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m anderson

hello fellow cadillac owners, long time admirer 2nd time owner, i recently brought over a 55 caddy from america and need it complianced i need amber rear lenses and mine are original red can you get amber lenses? i doubt it, but am getting desperate tipping i will need to add new lenses and fit to  bumper? any thoughts?

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Mark,

Firstly, congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to the Cadillac and LaSalle Message Board.

Secondly, your vehicle can remain with the Red Signals in Australia because even though what the Registration people are trying to enforce, the requirement for amber signals didn't legally come into force until the ADR's were legislated in 1969, and amber lights didn't come in until 1972.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

m anderson

thanks bruce, been worried sick, i live in darwin and help seems to be a long way away ,any idea of club i can join up here?

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Mark,

There are some Members of the Aussie CLC in Darwin, and if you join the local CLC, not sure if the SA one, or Queensland would be the closest, but contact Michael Holding via the website,  http://cadillaclasalleclub.com.au/index.php?option=com_contact&Itemid=3   and he will be able to assist.

With regards the Amber lights, to clarify, they weren't a requirement on a passenger car until 1973, (just checked) the actual date of construction of the vehicle.   This means that any vehicle manufactured prior to 1973, can retain red indicator lights.

I know that all cars imported into Australia after the beginning of the 1959 Model Year had to have Amber lights, but that was a requirement of New South Wales, and they were a law unto themselves.   No other State required these, but they went with NSW, and as most vehicles came through Sydney, they had to comply.

Plus, you don't have to have Seat Belts, and other stuff that the ADR's have listed.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon