News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Need help with Allante AC

Started by Wayne Shmitka #20374, April 14, 2012, 12:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne Shmitka #20374

I have a '92 Allante that has given the"AC Refrigerant Low" message on the DIC. I had a reputable Cadillac dealer replace the compressor and evaporator with a complete service with R12. According to the dealer everything is perfect with the system. However, after driving 6-10 miles the error message appears on the DIC. The car has 51,000 miles and I have owned it for 11 years without this happening before. Any help or suggestions would be helpful.
Rocky Mountain Region Newsletter Editor
1992 Allante

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Wayne,
I would surmise that either it wasn't fully charged when they replaced the compressor, the refrigerant wasn't in fact R-12, or you have a refrigerant leak.
Go back to where they did the work (with the refrigerant low light on) and ask them "why"?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Wayne Shmitka #20374

Greg,

Thanks for your response but it's been back to the dealership for this problem. Everything (according to them) checks out fine. They did add leak dye to the system and said to come back if it happened again. They said that a sniffer isn't as accurate as the leak dye. So it will go back again to check for a leak. But there may be another issue that I'm not familiar with and that's why I posted this issue. Just looking for someone that has had this experience and what they had to do to fix it.

The service manager belongs to the CLC and wouldn't jive me.

Wayne
1992 Allante

Dave Shepherd

From here there is no way to diagnose this, they must put gages on it and check the low and high pressures, possible it has a bad press. switch giving false info.  But ultimately this requires onsite diagnosis.

76eldo

Allante's sometimes give a false error when it's not too hot out and the ambient temp is fairly low.  My 92 used to do this even though the AC was ice cold.

Check with these guys:  http://allante.us/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Or try Dick Hussey at http://allantesource.com/index.html

Good Luck,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Wayne Shmitka #20374

Brian,

What you said about the ambient temperature is a possibility because is hasn't been above 70 degrees here in Denver when I have had the car out. I'll keep an eye on that for a possibility. Also looking at the high and low pressure switches as well.

I have dealt with Dick Hussey before and will give him a call next week.

Thanks for your response,
Wayne
1992 Allante