News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Engine Pulling Points - 59 Cadillac

Started by Jeff Wilk, April 14, 2012, 08:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

Where do you hook the engine to the engine hoist in order to lift out of the car?

I've done this before in other cars but never in a 59.  Are there "Best" places to connect the hoist chains to? 

Since the picture below was taken we now have the 3X2 carbs, intake manifold, and exhaust manifolds off the car already along with the push rod pan/cover, oil canister, and power steering pump.  Transmission will be left attached.  Are there specific head bolts to attach to?
??? ???
Jeff & Noah
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Dave Shepherd

Use the center head bolts that have the longest reach into the block and use a special lifting rig that can be adjusted for angle and balance.

Jeff Wilk

So i still. Need to remove two head bolts.  Was not thinking that. Angle will be easier since i have all front supports removed already
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

The Tassie Devil(le)

All you need to do is make up some chain attaching points, out of a couple of pieces of flat steel, drilling a hole in one end for the bolt, and a large enough hole in the other end for a shackle to attach the chain, then bolt each piece to a vacant bolt hole on opposite sides of the engine.

It isn't rocket science, just find two bolts that you can fit into two empty threaded holes, and attach the lifting lugs.

DO NOT rely on a bolt to simply hook the chain around, as these could bend and break.

With the front end off the car, you will have many places to attach the chain.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   A '59 engine is the same as any other engine you have lifted before, just may be a bit heavier.   Go with SAFETY.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Jeff,

You and Noah are doing a beautiful job. I want to add to Bruce’s safety comment if you plan to lift with the car on the ground. Lifting the engine / trans combination from the center of the engine is an unbalanced load. The combination is going to tip down sharply in the rear causing the trans to drag on the ground. I suggest you place a mover’s dolly under the trans so you can lift and pull forward without damaging the trans tail shaft. Lift and move slowly because that’s an 700-800 pound load and not all that easy to stabilize once it’s swinging.

Regards,
Ralph 
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon