News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'40 LaSalle throttle cable route?

Started by John Barry [CLC17027], April 16, 2012, 01:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Barry [CLC17027]

Here's the situation: I have a functional cable for the manual throttle for my '40 LaSalle, but it's not clear at all to me how the cable should be routed through the firewall to the carburetor.  I may be way off here, but it seems like any route that uses existing firewall holes is pretty indirect, resulting in some bends that will naturally lead to less-that-pinpoint control--and I was under the impression that fine control of engine speed at low road speeds was the whole point of the hand throttle (e.g., maneuvering in tight spaces).

If anyone can guide me-especially with a photo or two!-that would be great.  Thanks in advance.
John Barry (CLC 17027)
Now-retired editor/Publisher of the Valley Forge Region newsletter, The Goddess
1940 La Salle series 50 four door sedan

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

See attached picture.  This is a 40 Cadillac but it is almost the same as the LaSalle but the carb is different on the LaSalle.  It is a little hard to see in the picture.  Look for the rubber button on the firewall with two wires coming out of it.  The upper is to the oil pressure gauge.  The lower is the hand throttle.  It looks like it goes to the exhaust manifold but it goes behind it.  The inner small wire comes out the other side of the manifold.  There is a bracket off the rear exhaust manifold bolt to hold it. 
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

John Barry [CLC17027]

Brad, I think that gives me the gist of the situation.  Thanks very much.  More may follow depending on my own under-the-hood investigation.
John Barry (CLC 17027)
Now-retired editor/Publisher of the Valley Forge Region newsletter, The Goddess
1940 La Salle series 50 four door sedan