News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

69 Deville Convertible - No Power Windows, seats or Top

Started by David P. Barter, April 17, 2012, 10:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David P. Barter

Hello Folks,

I hope someone can help. I cannot locate where the relays and fuses are for the power group, Windows, Top and seats. They were all working and now are not. I have all other power things, blower, radio, lights, blinkers etc. Just not those three... Any thoughts?

1969 Cadillac Deville Convertible, 472ci, TH400
David Barter
CLC # 27232
1969 Cadillac Deville Convertible
2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan
2012 Cadillac CTS4 Sedan

TJ Hopland

Im not sure if they did it the same in 69 as they did later but on the later cars there were 3 fusible links that came off the battery cable at the starter.  One was headlights, one fed 1/2 the fuse box for the stuff that was always on, and the last one fed the ignition switch and then the rest of the fuse box for the stuff that came on with the key.   Sounds like maybe you could have lost one of the links.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Carl Glass

my '68 fisher body manual says there is a 40amp "plug-in" type circuit breaker in the fuse block.

carl
Carl Glass
'68 Eldorado, cruise control, climate control, am/fm stereo, tilt/tele, 6-way bench, and vinyl roof.  Would love to add the twilight sentinel, guide-matic, power door locks, right hand mirror, headrests, and floor mats.  And how about leather buckets?  Oh, and pull the vinyl top.

David P. Barter

David Barter
CLC # 27232
2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan
2012 Cadillac CTS4 Sedan

David P. Barter

Okay i so I have the fuse in hand and no one seems to know where to get one of these. I am wondering if this (see link) will work as a replacement or if a normal 40amp 12v AGC fuse will work?

Here is what looks to be close to the same but more modern - http://www.drillspot.com/products/465726/Littelfuse_CBF40_Circuit_Breaker

David Barter
CLC # 27232
2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan
2012 Cadillac CTS4 Sedan

cadillactim

Looks like it would work just fine.  Did you make sure there was battery voltage on one side of the fuse socket?  If the fusible link is bad there will be no power to the one side (should be inner end of socket).  Tim

Tim Groves

David P. Barter

Thanks Tim. That was trick. Sorry for the long delay to respond and thank you.
David Barter
CLC # 27232
2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan
2012 Cadillac CTS4 Sedan

Big Fins

I wonder why you never thanked the guys on the Modified Chapter board that gave you the answers and provided scans of the electrical system and tracing before they did here?

I'm just sayin'. That's all.  ::)

A thank you goes a long way to solving the next problem that crops up. And you can be sure one will.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

David P. Barter

Sorry Big Fins, I struggle sometimes with getting back to all the boards that post. I did not mean to disrespect anyone.
David Barter
CLC # 27232
2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan
2012 Cadillac CTS4 Sedan

jlpoulson

So where is the fuse located that controls the top, seats and windows?

chrisntam

in the fuse box under the center of the dash, that's where mine is on my '70.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

jlpoulson

Thank you crisntam. I have looked there but see nothing other than the regular glass fuses. I will look again more closely. I am hoping that a previous owner did not rewire it. Wish me luck.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Don't these items have either fusible links or circuit breakers?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

jlpoulson

Bruce

I am sure they do as the top, windows and seat worked until the cheapo replacement top switch contacts broke and shorted the circuit and now none of those items work. I understand from research they are all on the same fusible link or circuit breaker which is supposed to reside in the fuse block. My fuse block does not have anything other than the standard glass fuses. So either someone relocated it or the 69 is different than the 70. Finding the fusable link or circuit breaker seems harder than it should be.

James

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: jlpoulson on May 13, 2019, 08:35:49 AM
I have looked there but see nothing other than the regular glass fuses. I will look again more closely. I am hoping that a previous owner did not rewire it. Wish me luck.
The 1969 and 1970 fuse panels are identical.  If you are seeing ONLY glass fuses, then someone apparently put a glass fuse where the circuit breaker belongs. The circuit breaker has rolled ends of the approximate diameter of the metal ends of the glass fuses.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

jlpoulson

Charles, et al:

I finally determined that yes indeed someone removed the original circuit breaker and wired the seats, windows and top into the horn fuse. It is a 30A glass fuse. So I replaced that and everything works fine now. Is there a reason why this will not work long term? Seems like a simple fix to me and as long as those items don't short out on a regular basis I am good. 

Thanks for your help

James

Cadillac Fleetwood

James,

The reason that placing a glass fuse where a circuit breaker belongs is a temporary solution, at best, is because the circuit breaker interrupts current to protect the wiring, and then automatically resets after a short time and restores the current.  A glass fuse blows, and that's it.  If you are lacking the appropriate circuit breaker, let me know and I will send you one.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

BADABINGSD

My Convertable 1960  Series 62 has the power top and window circuit breaker in the kick panel next the high beam selector.  Took me forever to find that one!