News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

53 Cadillac door seals

Started by jst, April 19, 2012, 08:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jst

Hi
Am installing door seals for a 1953 Cadillac Series 62 COUPE. When in place they cause the door door to push out about a 1/2" too far. The seals are Steele Rubber and I called to make sure that I had the corrects ones. According to them I have the proper ones. Any ideas on what has happened to cause the seals to not want to work (being too tight) ? Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks 
Joe T    jusmct@att.net
CLC #27640
USMC  63-68
1953 Cadillac series 62 COUPE

gene harl

Hi... Mine was to tight also on my 51 coupe... I had to readjust  the doors.... Gene Harl..CLC22406

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Mine was like that too Joe. We had to adjust the striker in the jamb out slightly. Then we closed the door rather hard and let it sit for a few days. The new rubber should compress somewhat over time. Once we did that, the doors closed fine. Good luck with it.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

rghobden

I have the same trouble with my '50 Cadillac and with the trunk seal on a '66 Chevelle.  The rubber was purchased from Steele.  I think their recipe is wrong; the rubber is too dense and won't allow full compression.  The seals were put on over five years ago and I still have to slam the doors but the trunk on the Chevy is getting better.  If I knew of someone else making the rubber, I would take these off and start over.
Russ Hobden #1235
Russ Hobden, CLC #1235

Raymond919

I'll add my name to the list of people with the same problem. I have a '49 4 door sedan. My problem is with the bottom of the passenger front door bottom. It sticks out about a full 1/4 inch. At first, I had to slam the door hard to get it to close. I eventually readjusted the striker out a slight bit and the door closes nicely now, but the bottom of the door still sticks out between 1/4 and 3/8 inch. I will try to work on the weatherstripping along the bottom edge of the door and try to find a solution.
I also had a problem with the trunk weatherstripping. There are two different types used on the '49 for the trunk. The stripping used on the trunk lid is the easy part. That one goes around 3/4 of the lid along the bottom edge and up the sides of the lid. The one used in the 'gutter' around the trunk opening presents the problem. It goes along the top of the trunk opening and down each side for short length of the way. When the trunk lid is closed, both weatherstrippings overlap. I selected the stripping that comes closest to the dimensions of the 'gutter' The one selected is 15/16 inch high. I readjusted the trunk lid to try to meet the rubber but it doesn't seem to do the job adequately. I can close the lid with a thin piece of paper over the stripping. With the trunk closed, I can easily slide the stripping out. I don't think that this is a weather proof seal. In those areas where the 'gutter' stripping and trunk lid stripping meet, it's OK.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Ray Schuman

Grant Owen

I have had the same problems with Steele products the rubber seems to Dense, the last time I used Steele door seals on a 60 Coupe the doors wouldn't close , so I ripped them off & replaced them with a set from Soff Seal & the doors closed.
I have had the same problem with Steele's J seals , trunk seals & other seals . The J seals from Steele are so dense the just rip off when the door is closed. Another thing I have noticed with some of the seals from Steele is that when they are a few months old they start to crack .
I will only use Steele products if an alternative is not available , I use Soff Seal or Metro Super Soft.