News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 Lasalle - running boards or rocker trim?

Started by 46Chris, April 20, 2012, 08:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

46Chris

Hello CLC
This is my first post, having yesterday purchased a 1940 series 52, original, intact and running.  I'm driving it home today, and my question is how I would determine if the car was equipped with running boards or rocker trim strips.  To me (the novice) there is nothing obvious to indicate.  There have been at least two repaints, so possibly any trim strip clip holes were filled. 
I was very fortunate in hearing about this car only 80 miles from home.  My brother and his wife happened to be out antique'ing when they saw it and called me, so I grabbed my deposit stash and was on the road within 10 minutes.   It is in astonishing mechanical and cosmetic condition.  Owned by an older gentleman for the last 14 years, it was advertised only at the roadside. 
Chris Rewey
1941 Series 61 (sold)

gary griffin

Nice car. It originally had runing boards though.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

46Chris

Thanks Gary.  I've since browsed the forum and 'net for more running board info and have the impression that I'll be quite fortunate to run across a pair.  But them, less than 24 hours ago I had no clue I'd be so lucky as to have this car, so I'll just put the word out on parts wanted.  If anyone can offer any suggestions, I would be grateful.
Chris Rewey
1941 Series 61 (sold)

Bill Hamilton

46Chris,

While your car may have originally had running boards, they were a no cost option on 1940 LaSalles. Many 52 series cars were delivered without runningboards, but with 3 stainless trim strips on the rocker panels. You will only know for sure if you contact GM Cadillac Collection Services to get a build sheet for your car. Here is how to do that:

To order a copy of the factory record sheet of your vehicle:

Provide the vehicle data -- year, style #, body # and serial/VIN # (e.g. 1941, style 6219D, Body 1286, serial 8342240). All Cadillacs and LaSalles are recorded by the original engine serial number; without that number, the GM Heritage Center cannot process your order and has no choice but to return your request.

Include a check or money order (PLEASE DO NOT SEND CASH) in US funds for $50 payable to Allied Vaughn as The GM Cadillac Collection service is now managed by Allied Vaughn. You may also call 734-462-5543 x.163 or email  vehicleinvoice@gmmediaarchive.comThis email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and pay by credit card (Visa, M/C, Amex).Mail to:

Allied Vaughn
Attn: GM Vehicle Invoice & Cadillac Collection
11923 Brookfield
Livonia, MI. 48150
USA

The GM Heritage Center is an affiliate of the General Motors Corporation. The GM Heritage Center and Allied Vaughn are not affiliated in any way with the Cadillac & LaSalle Club. Allied Vaughn is a tier one supplier to General Motors

They will provide you with a lot of information about your car and the entire 1940 Cadillac & LaSalle lineup.

Bill Hamilton, CLC 16219
40 LaSalle 5019
42Cadillac 7523

46Chris

Hi Bill,

That's a wealth of information, thanks so much! I will submit my request for a factory record sheet.

I'm heading out in an hour to pick up the car (insurance in place).   I have the 7 digit serial number off the title.  I'm assuming there's a plate on the firewall with the style and body number?

Best, Chris
Chris Rewey
1941 Series 61 (sold)

Don Boshara #594

Chris,
The rocker panels on your car are incorrect for a 52 series without running boards. The panel curves out at the bottom with a single stainless strip on the lower edge. The series 50 without boards has three strips.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

C.R. Patton II

Hello Chris

Beautiful car! Only 10,180 produced. I would suggest that you go the home page to purchase an Authenticity Manual and LaSalle: Cadillac's Companion Car book by Ron Van Gelderen and Matt Larson. Great data and pictures. Try to find a Cadillac LaSalle Club Region near your home for comraderie.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

46Chris

C.R., thanks, I feel very fortunate to be caring for this car.   I will get the book, and also seek out the local folks. 

Joining the forum and local and international clubs is so valuable, and fulfilling.  Yesterday while driving the car back,  I was temporarily stranded in a small town and got a call from Gene Grundmann  (my first live CLC connection!) who I had emailed about his rocker trim stainless.  We had a nice chat while I was troubleshooting, and his call brightened my day at that moment.  I learned a lot about the La Salle from Gene.

I met the 81 year old owner of this '40 Series 52 yesterday and spent some time learning about the car and his history with it.   And, I feel obliged to spend some time helping him find a '37-'40 Ford, which is what he'd really like.   After buying it from a local farmer in '98, and according to his meticulous records and receipts, he proceeded to do a fair amount of minor mechanical work over the next year.  After getting it "right" in his estimation, the receipt trail ended in 1999.  I believe the car has been paraded and periodically started since then, but little else.   I do have registration cards and some receipts from the 3 prior owners, two of which were local to me.  One of the best receipts was from a local auto salvage and repair yard, long closed, that did the paint job for $500 back in the '80's.  It is definitely a $500 paint job, and will be remedied at some point.

Very smooth driver, tight steering, quiet over railroad tracks, strong motor.  I began to hear a noise in the engine compartment, and thought right away that it was either water pump or generator bearing.  Definitely generator bearing.  I oiled the cup, but I knew it was too late for that.  I thought I'd press on, since the odds were that it would last another 70 miles.  I had brought an extra battery, just in case.  I stopped again in a small town and shut the car off, and it was an hour before it cooled down enough to get it started again.  Just to remove the most obvious issue, I emptied the bowl, detached the fuel line at the carb and ran some gas into a water bottle.  No water that I could see.  Bad grounds and/or starter, since after an hour it cooled enough not to labor when I hit the starter button.   Sorting out a car that hasn't been properly maintained for decades is all part of the great fun.   It's been awhile since I was stranded in a small town.  This was actually a very pleasant experience, deeply satisfying.  I wouldn't have been there without this gorgeous autoomobile.   Guys from the bar across the street kept wandering over to kibitz.  The sun was shining, and I had at least 3 hours of daylight left.   I had tools and a phone and was close to home.  Really,  what could be more fun?  I rolled into my mechanic's yard before the sun went down - he had kept the gate open and there were a few others there waiting to see the La Salle.  My mechanic was mourning the sale of his '41 Buick, so this was perfect replacement therapy - a magnificent auto to work on! 

I'll start by establishing the starting fix, and then take the generator to a local shop for rebuild.  Then on to a more thorough mechanical review.   I'll leave the paint job for the winter, so I can enjoy driving it as much as possible this season.

Thanks for indulging me this moment.
Chris Rewey
1941 Series 61 (sold)