News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadiilac 1947 series 62

Started by s2kq8, April 21, 2012, 07:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s2kq8

Hey all, i am a new member here, and i need your help.

i have a series 62 1947 cadillac fastback and i want to fully restore it, i looked every where for parts and i cannot find any.

Please help

Thanks

Tony

Tito Sobrinho

Tony:

Your car is not a fastback but a modified 4 door as the rear window is oval, and perhaps the modification was done by Derham?
There is a huge list of vendors published in this Forum but at the moment I cannot find it. Use the search engine readily available and type Cadillac Parts Suppliers.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

gary griffin

Hi Tony,  Nice car and very interesting. First things I would do are as follows. Determine if the rear window modification is factory or "Hot Rod" by someone. I can assure you restoration will consume two of your most valuable resources, your time and your money!!
   I am assuming you are figuring on an authentic restoration. That would give you a nice driver and preserve the value and future value of the car.
    I would first buy a "Authenticity Manual" for your car. I would then buy the build sheet which will tell you when the car was produced, the date it left the factory, where it went after that, and most importantly how it was outfitted, accessories, color of body and interior and so forth.
     I would buy a fairly good digital camera and keep it in the garage and with the car, and first take a complete set of "As is " pictures. I dont know how complete your car is but having these pictures later will assist in your task. I would document the process with frequent pictures of the over all and of details. I would buy a couple of memory cards for the camera and not mix pictures of the restoration with other pictures.
     With the authenticity manual in hand I would search out pictures on the internet and compare them to the pictures you took earlier and do a detailed parts needed list. I purchased a car that was suposedly complete less 2 items and ended up with a two page parts needed list. I keep it on my computer and mark off parts as I aquire them.
      You will need to decide how far into this you want to go and that will depend on where you are starting. A full "Body Off ground up restoration " or a body on frame restoration. I would recommend joining the club and starting a restoration Blog in the restoration forum. I dont think membership is required to do that though. During restoration post pictures and make comments and it will be followed by lots of guys like me who are interested. You will get hints, suggestions and moral support. Take a look in the restoration Forum and could look at my 1942-6719 restoration blog for example and there are many others. When people ask question or post suggestions the Blog comes back to the top of that forum. Mine is inactive this past month so it is down about 20 places. 
     If it is worth doing it is worth doing right. If the rear window is a "Hot Rod" and not a retrofit by a "Coach Builder" I would consider reversing the process if possible.  You are beginning a interesting and expensivew project and someday the market value of this car will depend on the Authenticity of your restoration and if you ever plan to show it at a "Cadillac" function points are deducted for non authentic items. I get more pleasure from doing authentic restoration and since I am 71 years old the value matters little to me but some day it may matter to my kids.
    I belong to a club in England for fairly rare  Triumph roadsters and the instruction manual tells us to keep a record of expenses and receipts as you go and select a place in the garage to secure them where your wife cant find them. I would add a comment here. Estimate the time it will take and the costs you expect to encounter and double the time and triple the costs  (or is it double the costs and triple the time?) Just a little restoration humor but not too far off track
Good Luck and hopefully you will have a nice blog for us to follow.
Good Luck and Enjoy the pocess.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

s2kq8

Tito thanks bro i will check it out. Gary thank you for your information i really appreciate it. i am from Lebanon and i live in Kuwait. This car we found it in the same condition as shown, and i only have the doors but i dont see any modification has been done on the rear window. This series as i have been told there are only 50 pieces around the world i dont know if its true or not. i am usually into japanese cars and racing in the circuit. we own this garage here in kuwait and we have many classics coming by, this car i am trying to fully restore we will be gifting it to the ministry of defense as a gift and we appreciate them helping and supporting us in some issues we use to have here, and thats the whole story i will start a blog containing the rebuild of this beautiful cadillac, and i hope i will have some help from other people to show me where i could purchase the parts i need. :)

thanks

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

Tony:

A good place to locate parts is to post your needs in the "Want to Buy" forum which is a part of this board.  However, I suspect you may encounter some reluctance on the part of some to ship overseas. Good luck.

C.R. Patton II

Hello Tony

Congratulations on your acquisition. There were only 25,834 Model 6269 produced in 1947. Do not be discouraged in your restoration we are here to help. I would implore you to assemble a parts list for a trip to Hershey Event this year. Make sure you visit us at the CLC tent.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

s2kq8

Thank you all for being very supporting and helpful. about the overseas shipping it is ok with me i dont have  a problem paying shipping. Would i be able to find NEW parts? i do not want to buy used.

Thanks

Tony

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Tony,

What Bill is referring to is that a few Americans refuse to ship, mail, or send anything outside USA.

I have encounted many times where people have even refused point blank on ebay to even accept bids from outside USA, even though my money is as good as any one elses'.

Not being against these people, but the reason explained to me is that they haven't got the time, or the patience to stand in line at the Post Office, filling out all the forms, etc.   But their loss, is also a loss to the "alien", as we also need the parts, and if necessary, are prepared to pay more to get them.   

Heck, I even purchased a radio for US$0.99, (I was the only bidder, as they spelt Cadillac as Caddilac), and it cost me US$28.00 to get it here.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

gary griffin

Hi Tony,

New and professionally rebuilt mechanical parts are readily available and also some trim parts and accessories are reproduced and there are several suppliers who advertise in Hemmings and on the internet. The 200 vendor list is also buried in these blogs and it  is kept up by Otto Skyrezenski (Not sure of spelling). I keep a copy handy with a few I have added and notes and deletions where I found the phone numbers disconnected. If you cant find it send me a mailing address and I will send you a copy.  The list also contains the names of various companys who restore parts that you can no longer buy.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Tito Sobrinho

I found the vendors list patiently and beautifully done by Otto Skorzeny.

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/index.php/topic,5742.msg70083.html#msg70083
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

baxterculver

Tony,
Is the Identification Plate still riveted to the firewall just above the drivers side of the engine bay?  If it is, record the numbers and post them here.  Club members can tell you exactly what the car was:  model, trim, engine #, etc when it left the factory.  That will help you with your search for parts and your decision re:  how to restore it.
baxter culver clc#17184