News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

conversion from LHD to RHD - changes to the steering box.

Started by FAT Cadillac, April 22, 2012, 09:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FAT Cadillac

I have a 1958 Fleetwood Sixty Special that has been converted to RHD at some time in it's past, not sure when or where the work was done.
The steering box is now very worn to the point that it needs replacing, but I'm not sure what sort of box is in it and it is very hard to see much less remove.
Is it likely that the original box could have been used?
F & T Doyle (FAT)

gary griffin

Was it an obvious conversion or  a factory produced car for export?

Before about 1961 quite a few European countries drove on the "wrong" side of  the road. The countries in mainland Europe all changed to the "Right" side at one  time. I was living in Germany back then which was already right side but I followed the conversion in the news.       

Unexectubedly accident rate diminished to about zero for a  few days as everyone was paying so much attention to their driving but as they became acclimated to the right side driving the accident rate slowly went back to normal.

Since that is the case I would expect Cadillac was producing right hand drive cars to export. I know the Scandavian countrys were involved but do  not recall which others were.

If there is a difference in the steering mechanism possibly European resources could assist in finding any parts you determine need replacing.

Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Steve Passmore

You cannot interchange anything from a right hand drive box into a LHD one, everythings round the wrong way sadly.  Your car could have come from south America or one of the other 40 odd countries that still drive on the correct side ;D
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Quentin Hall

I don't believe Cadillac did any rh conversions for export. I presume you are in Oz? About 20 or so cars came to Oz every year in the fifties and it could be one of several conversion houses here that did it. Or it could have been imported in the years that followed and just about anyone could have had a go.   Depends on how it was done. Way back when they were new cars it was not uncommon in Australia for the chassis to be cut and shut around the LH box as there were no Rh power steering boxes available in those days. Later RH saginaw boxes came out for Jeeps etc. I have seen several 57 thru 60 Cads done both  ways . Have a look at your chassis rail. Is it definately a RH box or is the chassis boxed around the steering box??  I'd remove the box and identify it before you go trying to fit square pegs in round holes.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

The Tassie Devil(le)

The last Cadillac Factory RHD for export built in USA was in 1942.

If your car was an older import, then it most likely be using the LHD Steering Box that has been boxed into the chassis, as Quentin explained, but if it was a later import, then it could be using a RHD export steering box that was used in the Chevrolet and Pontiac vehicles up until 1968.

Can you take a picture of it, and it will easily be identified.

I have also heard of a Chevrolet truck box being used.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

tozerco

My Master Parts List shows both LHD and RHD parts for the steering gear from 1935 through to 1942 inclusive. I have a factory RHD box for both a '36 and a '37 and Steve is right, no matter which way you turn a LHD steering box component, it ain't never gonna work!
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

Quentin Hall

To clarify, I meant Cadillac didn't do Rh drive components or conversions, "post war"  . . . . but you guys new that ?. I am probably one of the very few who have "unconverted a RH drive" 59 back to original LH drive ( and it was a 1960 conversion with a boxed up chassis using checkerplate). Needed a new LH chassis rail inserted as well as dash, pedals, wiring etc etc. There was some cursing and swearing on  that one I can assure you. You would never pick it now.

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Jay Friedman

Back in the 1970s I lived in Nepal, where one drives on the left, cars are RHD and are frequently kept by their owners for decades.  At the time there were still some pre-war cars and, among others, I remember a 29 LaSalle in running condition and a 34 Cadillac in junk condition that had factory RHD. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."