News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Mysterious fuel disappearance in 1959 Fleetwood

Started by rex, May 16, 2012, 03:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rex

Hello Group,

I am wondering if one of you geniuses out there can figure out what's wrong with my '59 Fleetwood's fuel delivery.  The car runs perfectly at all speeds and never stalls out EXCEPT in this circumstance.  When I have driven the car some distance and park, after a couple of minutes, I can see the gas literally being sucked out the fuel filter bowl until there is nothing in it.  If it sits in this condition for a while, the car will start and then often stall out. Once stalled,  you generally cannot start it at all again unless you prime the carb with gas. There is no gas in the filter bowl at this time and none comes in when turning the car over. 

I by-passed the vapor return line (it's an a/c car) and installed a new fuel pump, neither or which correct the condition.  The fuel pump cannot pull more gas back into the carb without the help of priming.  Once running again, it's fine until the next time. What's happening??  Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rex  #18304
Rex Crews #18304

Walter Youshock

I had a similar problem on my '57.  First of all, there should be a rubber (fuel resistant) gasket under the center hole of the filter element.  That gasket goes on first, then the element, then the large outer gasket.

If the fuel bowl was overtightened, the pot metal filter body may be distorted allowing air to be sucked in when the car is off.  Remove the filter and gaskets and put the glass bowl on the filter body and rock it in different directions.  If it doesn't fit flush to the body, then you can carefully get it back in shape with a bench vice and some scraps of wood.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

rex

Thanks for that suggestion.  I am going to check and see if this could be the problem, but it certainly sounds logical.  I'll report back! 
Rex Crews #18304

Walter Youshock

It's worth a shot.  This drove me crazy for years.

When I gently bent the housing back into shape, I bent it slightly concave where the bracket holes are.  When I torqued it with the bowl in place, it pulled the housing tight and flattened it out again.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

curly

Gas tank not vented, creating a suction that pulls the fuel back when the pump stops?  Check the gas cap/clogged vent, incorrect cap.

T Lewis

62droptop

can you tell if the fuel is being sucked into the carb or back into the tank

i have had fuel boiling in my 62
already been mentioned is a  tank vent issue, as you drive the car may be sucking the tank in slightly due to no vent ,when you shut the car off ,the tank is returning to proper shape

take it for a ride with the gas cap off and see if it still does it

D.Yaros

I too opt for an improper gas cap.  The tank is vented and modern gas tanks are not.  It needs a vented gas cap.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

rex

Thanks for your suggestions. Does anyone have a diagram of fuel filter with vapor return line showing the path of travel of gas, vapor, etc.?   There is nothing in the shop manual about it.  I think that something is not pressurizing correctly in the filter assembly itself which creates a situation that under certain conditions the fuel pump cannot overcome.  Thanks!
Rex Crews #18304