News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1948 Fleetwood heater.

Started by Richardonly, April 28, 2012, 10:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richardonly

Gentlemen,

I HAD my heater fan rebuilt 2 months ago and do know that it is working (spinning.)

Is it suppose to have much force coming out, into the car?  I can barely feel air movement, if at all, yet it is (once again) spinning.

The car is a 1948 Fleetwood 60S with the automaticly controlled heater and one under the seat.

The owner's manuel states to let the car warm up before turning the heater on.  This I have done.

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Warren Rauch #4286

Since the heater motor has been ruled out,it must be something different. A blockage from seat  fabric or spring. The fan blade slipping or sticking on heater shroud or core. A fan blade  that is bent the wrong way,so it draws air into the heater instead of pushing it out. An electric feed or ground problem. Warren

Tito Sobrinho

"I can barely feel air movement, if at all, yet it is (once again) spinning"

Richard, don't expect an air movement like a modern car i.e, it's subtle but does its job, in other words, you will never have a bad hair day in either yours or my car.
Did you pull the lever on the driver's side, allowing outside air in trough the external duct ? When the car is moving, the  hot air movement increases.
The heater under the seat, does not depend on external sources, rather, uses the anbient air generated from the fan's condition.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

Richardonly

Tito,

No, I did not open the right side vent.

The car was already warm from a drive I took, pushed the heater (Temp) lever to the extreme down position and felt for any air movement on the passenger side front air port(?).  The car was sitting and not in motion.

The fan motor that was rebuilt does NOT have blades, but rather a metal cylinder with louvres that spins.

It appears to have no speed control.  Pretty much on or off, and being automaticly controlled I suppose it just goes on or off (the fan) and the temperature is controlled by moving the temp lever.

Do I have it's operation correct?

As you mentioned, I was listening and feeling for a more modern type fan sound and feel, like the sound of an open window on the highway.  I KNOW the fan is spinning and if I open the vent (HOW MUCH?) the heat will enter the car? 

The picture I attached show the vent in to the extreme lower right.  This is where I felt for air movement.

Thank you,  Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Tito Sobrinho

This type of fan was an industry standard in those days for the GM, Packard, Ford etc. You did everything by the book.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.