News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Oil Filter

Started by fnoti, May 03, 2012, 08:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fnoti

Hey everyone, well it's about time that I change the oil in my car but since my mechanic has moved I am looking at doing it myself.  I was wondering if anyone can help me out as to where I should buy the oil filter or if there is anything I should be aware of before I tackle this (hopefully easy) project.

1959 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Dave Shepherd

Napa should have the filter, use some kind of suction  gun to get the old oil out of the cannister, make sure to replace the "o" ring on the cover, fill the cannister with oil when the new filter is in.  Also check for any " stuff" in the bottom of the cannister, clean as necessary.

Grant Owen

AC Delco filter P115 , also make sure the spacer is still in the bottom of the Canister this often get lost over time (see attached picture) this gives you proper oil Circulation & makes the Filter work as it should.
I Made a few of these a while ago but I soon went through them as almost every car I came across it was missing , I have also noticed if it is missing it can cause a tapping noise as the filter moves .

Jeff Wilk

Grant,  any idea who makes or sells these today?  Ive. Ever seen them
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Grant Owen

Jeff , I have no idea that's why I machined some up , I will be machining some more in the near future .
They are on my very long list of things to do.

domer

The very first time I changed the oil in my 59 CDV, I almost threw that particular piece/spacer in the garbage thinking it had been accidentally left in there  by the previous owner.  Luckily, I contacted a friend, Mr. Ward, and he informed me on the proper placement and use of the canister spacer.

D. Vasquez
Dominique Vasquez #24943
1959 Coupe Deville http://bit.ly/1XkRuZc
1994 Fleetwood  http://bit.ly/1OTqOf1

curly

Napa does carry the filter, about $12 a few months ago.  I was able to find the same filter at Auto Zone for $6! ;D  I bought 3, excited about a great deal.   Junk, just junk! :-\  Didn't fit right at all.  Stick with Napa or equivalent quality.

T Lewis

Jeff Maltby 4194

Use a turkey baster to remove oil and if you've lost the bottom spacer, get a galvanized pipe fitting the proper length and a washer to fit over it=done deal. 
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

caddychap

Grant - I have a stupid question.  Does this spacer go in just like you have it in your photo - with the flat side facing up? Or vice versa?  Thanks, Jon

Grant Owen

Jon, It goes in the way pictured.
Jeff's idea would work but I would be sure to get a pipe the correct ID & I would tack weld the washer ,you don't want any taps or strange noises coming from the canister which will happen with lose or ill fitting parts.
For me it would be easier to machine up a new one , but I do jobs properly I not the type to fix a leak in the radiator with Bubble Gum.

chris cunliffe

Grant  Is the spacer exclusive to the 59 filter or should my 57 Eldorado filter have one?
1957 Eldorado Seville #967

Tito Sobrinho

If you have the bypass AC replacement element type filter like the one described in this discussion, which was common in the GM cars...yes, it will be the same and don't forget to reinstall the spring above the filter element or rattling will occur.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

Jeff Wilk

Grant, does that spacer fit over the long tube/rod inside the cannister that the filter slides onto?  I have the rod, and the spring at the top on the cover but no spacer and the filter fills the cannister.  I am having a tought time picturing where the spacer goes?

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Grant Owen

Jeff, the spacer does fit over the tube & the filter sits on top then the top with the bolt & spring attached.

Chris, your 57 Eldorado should have the spacer , my 57 Eldorado does.

Jeff Maltby 4194

Here's an oem 49 filter inner canister assembly with correct placement of the spring.

The spacer slips into a bushing but why ?
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Roger Zimmermann

On my '56 Cads, there is no bushing, but I cannot garantee that it was not there when the cars were new. I see no purpose for that bushing.
The spring on the picture is not correctly placed. Its small end should go into the recess of the screw so you don't loose it when you replace the filter. Further, the small end on the spring, if you install it the way it's pictured, could push on the rubber part of the canister which is no good.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101