News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Current Value

Started by 78_Eldorado, May 04, 2012, 04:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78_Eldorado

I'm curious since I just purchased a 78 Eldorado Biarritz Coupe, if you guys feel that the values will continue to increase on these cars? Also, I was wondering what you guys think an 11k original mile should be worth in the current market?

I know that the convertibles are worth more than the coupes, and although I do enjoy driving the convertible, I find that the coupes offer a more solid feeling ride.
Sam E.

waterzap

Car values probably no one can predict. I went to an auction last weekend and I was surprised at how low the bids for some cars were. I think the auctioneers were also a bit disappointed. 400hp, fully refurbished muscle cars that could barely make $25k.

They sold a 60s VW Beetle where the guy apparently spent tens of thousands for $16k or so. Personally, I don't see these cars being worth anything extraordinary anytime soon. People just seem to prefer muscle cars, and European sports cars.

Persononally that's why I like them. You can get a nice running classic car for a decent price and the maintenance won't break the bank. Dont get me wrong, I don't think these cars will depreciate a lot either. You just won't be buying a house with one soon. Yours with the low miles, keep it in good shape, drive it now and again, and if you are lucky you will probably get back what you put into it plus inflation. That's a lot better than any new car. I might be wrong, just my opinion.
Leesburg, AL

78_Eldorado

I appreciate your opinion, and you do make many valid points. I have a garage full of muscle cars, and to be honest, after a while I look forward in driving something that is comfortable and smooth. I know very few cars that drive the way that these cars do, for one, nothing today comes even close to the weight of these cars, which is the main reason for the smooth comfortable ride. Looking down that super long hood while driving is an experience most folks driving today have never experienced. For me it brings back great memories of when I was a kid being driven around by my parents or uncles who all drove these types of cars.
Sam E.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

If the '78 Eldo Biarritz is truly a pristine original car throughout in good colors, all equipment working properly with 11,000 miles- I'd put it at around $15,000.

As far as future appreciation goes- any pristine (#2 or better) original car with excellent credentials is going to be a good investment in the long haul. Generally speaking, stock condition Classics are much less susceptible to the price volitlilty often seen in other segments in the old car hobby.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

For whatever reason, the 70's Eldorados are not getting the attention and appreciation the deserve.

I wish it were otherwise, as I am the original owner of a pristine '73 coupe
that's all original.  However the facts are:

--  Production numbers of the 70's cars were much higher than the "classic"
Eldo's of the 50's. 
--  For example, in 1955 there were just 3950 Eldo's produced and all
convertibles
-- In 1971 there were 20,568 coupes and 6800 convertibles

These figures went even higher into the latter 70's.  Thus, the exclusivity was
lost.

Will they be "hot" collectibles?  I doubt it, but they will always be desirable
as reflections on an era that will never come again.

That said, there are many very nice cars of this vintage that can be acquired
in the $10 - $15K range and are good investments in that you will get your
money back (should you decide to sell) plus inflation.

Mike   
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Agreed with the above. I would add that many late '70s "jumbo" Eldorados were tucked away or very sparingly used, owners having been inspired by the "last" convertible run of '76. As pointed out, they were produced in large quantities which translates to a plentiful supply of high quality survivors. Conversely, few gave much thought to preserving Coupe deVilles of the same era being a more modern design which makes finding those in top-tier condition much more difficult in my experience.

In any case, I believe any significant price movement in FWD Eldos will begin with the 1st gen (67-70) with 67/68 leading the charge. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

C.R. Patton II

Hello Sam

Congratulations on your Cadillac purchase. It would be great if acquisition of a vehicle that my eye adored translated to dollar appreciation. More often we capture what we like to soothe our minds and please our emotions. Somehow we must include logic before we buy and hope it correlates with an increase in value.

The value is how much you enjoy that magnificent automobile.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.