News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Early LaSalle Radiator Cap (need to identify)

Started by shammatt, May 06, 2012, 01:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shammatt

I have an early LaSalle (Cadillac) radiator cap that does not fit my 1932 LaSalle.  It looks correct visually, but the cap o.d. is too small.  I have borrowed an original 1932 cap (3-5/8" o.d. at the base) and it fit perfectly.  The cap I'm trying to identify is only 3-1/8" o.d. at the base.  It has the correct centerline ridge and 3-prong locking cup (I believe the locking cup is a newer replacement).  Most importantly the inside has the Stant emblem and address and the following part no. LS2457.

Anybody hazard a guess what year/model LaSalle this fits?
I'm trying to trade or sell my cap for the correct cap that will fit my LaSalle.

Thanks
Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA
www.leatherplates.com
www.earlycadillac.org
www.brassbuicks.org

shammatt

Through the assistance of a good Canadian friend and LaSalle owner, I've learned that the smaller radiator cap is for a 1931 (and I'd guess, 1930) LaSalle (and Cadillac?).  Anyway, with that knowledge, I need to go to the Buy/Sell/Trade forum to pursue my quest for the larger 1932 LaSalle.  Also, the 3 pronged locking cup that I recently purchased can be swapped for the correct 1931 two pronged cup.
Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA
www.leatherplates.com
www.earlycadillac.org
www.brassbuicks.org

shammatt

Now we have all the information (I hope).  The smaller cap on the left is a LaSalle cap.  It fits all models of LaSalle from 1927 to 1931.  It does not fit any Cadillac models.  In 1932, the LaSalle radiator cap (as illustrated on the right in the photo), shared the same larger cap size with all Cadillac V8s and V12s (1930-1932) and Cadillac V16s (1930-31).  I'm selling the 1927-'31 LaSalle cap and replacing it with the correct (and larger o.d.) version shown on the right in the photo.
Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA
www.leatherplates.com
www.earlycadillac.org
www.brassbuicks.org