News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Flip up fuel filler 56 Fleetwood

Started by dplotkin, May 10, 2012, 07:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dplotkin

We are assembling the car after painting & re-chroming and we are having problems getting the movable tail lamp to "latch" down. Either we have it assembled wrong, or there is too much plating built up on the tang. I posted some pictures. Can anyone tell me if I have this right or better yet, an exploded diagram?

Sincerely appreciate anyone's help.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Caddy Wizard

I am not sure, but I think the tongue may be installed upside down.  That is the triangular piece that is mounted to the housing with two phillips screws and is engaged by the truss head screw when you depress the button.  Pushing the button should move the tongue out of engagement with another part.    But I think you have it upside down and so it never latches at all.  I need to look at mine to be sure...

Art G
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

J. Gomez

Dan,

The placement of the lacking plate in picture 3 is correct. However I’ve notice you have washers place under the mounting bracket in picture 6, that would raised the lacking plate way to high to engaged the tang., you will need to remove the washers.

Once you place the weather stripping around the lens housing it should provide some resistance with the help of the springs to hold the top housing once it is latched. You may need to adjust the lacking bracket forward or aft to properly latch.

If you do not have the weather stripping in place, the gap between the top and bottom housing is too large to properly get the latch to hold with just the spring tension.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

dplotkin

Thanks guys, we got it straightened out today.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker