News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 Sedanette engine/transmission options

Started by dogslovetrucks, May 12, 2012, 10:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogslovetrucks

I just bought a 49 Sedanette without an engine or trans and was wondering what my "bolt in" options were.  I don't want to hot rod it, I just don't like my odds of finding a '49 engine/trans without having to sell a kidney.  I believe 50-53 331s and hydras are what I'm looking for but I'm really not sure.  Any help is greatly appreciated!!

JC
1949 Club Coupe

ccp49

There's someone selling a '49 engine on the for sale forum. If you are missing any parts from that 49, the same engine parts fit up to about 53. 
Dan barbieri
Dan Barbieri
'49 Conv "in the works"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Jay Friedman

The 49 engine is practically identical with 50 and 51 engines, though the 51 hydramatic is a bit better since it has a smoother reverse mechanism.  Any 49-51 motor would bolt right in and none of these year motors is more difficult to find or expensive than the others. 

The 52-54 engine and Hydramatic will bolt right in so to speak but, without going into details, their cylinder heads and exhaust manifolds differ such that you'd have to install a second exhaust pipe and muffler so you'd have dual exhausts.  A 55 engine will bolt right in but you would have to use a 55 Hydramatic, as the hook up between the engine and transmission differs from earlier years. 

Personally, I wouldn't use a motor that is later than 55 since in my opinion the 56 and later Hydramatic is inferior and earlier Hydramatics can't be used with these later motors.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

Jason:

If you go to the "For Sale " section of this discussion forum and then type in 1949 engine as your search term in the search box at the top right you will find information that may be of assistance.   See this link:  http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php?action=search2

You may also want to post in the "Wanted to buy" section of this discussion forum.