News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fading manual brake pedal..........1948 Fleetwood 60S

Started by Richardonly, May 15, 2012, 09:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richardonly

Gentlemen,

The car is a 1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S.

This past Saturday while driving to a show, the brake pedal went down to 1/2 way from the level of the gas pedal to the floor.  About 1 inch from the floor.

It's normal position is slightly ABOVE the level of the gas pedal.

Knowing I wouldn't enjoy the show being worried about the brakes, I returned the car home.  The pedal was about 1 inch from the floor.  There are no visible leaks, the pedal did NOT get any lower, but did feel as if the stopping power was lowered.

A few hours latter, I checked it and it appeared (it was) to be almost returned to normal.

I drove the car to the shop for some minor jobs I cannot do, AND one of them was now the level of the brake pedal.

Except it was now back where it has always been and had full stopping power.  (NOT power brakes.)

It the car "Christine"  from the movie of the same title which fixes itself??????

Confused, Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Dave Shepherd

I would suggest a complete brake check, pull the wheels confirm that none of the wheel cylinders are frozen, look for contaminated brake fluid, all the hardware is in good shape and so on, I am in the middle of repairing a 51 Chev. p/u in my shop. It had a very high pedal but stopped poorly, both rear w/c's were frozen and did not move, this causes a high pedal but no rear brakes.

76eldo

Sounds like possibly a bad master cylinder.

In the older cars with a single circuit brake system, loss of pedal can be catastrophic.  On dual reservoir master cylinders, you can have complete front or rear failure and still have sufficient stopping power.  I have been through this before with loss of pedal on both types, and it's not fun.

Take the car to a pro.  You can get new master cylinders from Kanter and other sources, and any decent mechanic can work on the car.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

curly

X2 on Brians post.  The M/C is most likely bypassing the piston seals, causing an internal leak, but no out side fluid leaks.  I've had it happen a time or two. :o  Replace or sleeve the M/C.

T Lewis

Glen

My first reaction would be to change the brake fluid.  If it has absorbed moisture from the air and the fluid gets hot the moisture would flash to steam which is compressible.  After the fluid cools off the steam condenses back and the brake system seems normal.  This happens most frequently in disk brakes but I don’t see why it would not happen in drum brakes under the right conditions.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Jay Friedman

If you have your current m/c rebuilt or buy another, I recommend you have it sleeved with brass or some other non-ferrous metal to avoid future problems.  I had my '49 m/c rebuilt and sleeved by Hagen's in Pullayup, Washington several years ago and it has been problem free ever since.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Richardonly

Gentlemen,

Once again, thank you for your information.

As it turns out, the brake light switch is "IN" the master cylinder and was leaking.  It also caused the brake lights to remain on randomly.  The switch was replaced, the master cylinder bleed and both work fine so far.

Hears hoping that they remain that way.  When I stop thinking about it, then the problem is truly solved.

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle