News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Eldo at LA auto show 1954

Started by Bob Hoffmann CLC#96, May 14, 2012, 11:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

http://gt350lady.com/images/CAR%20SHOWS/image058.jpg
This is what you do with a brand new Eldo in 1954. Does this car still exist?
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Bob,

Up until his death I believe it was in his Las Vegas museum......Proof that taste should not e confused with money.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Davidinhartford

A web search came up with these two pics.

R Schroeder

Why does Bob's picture look different. Was the car changed by someone over the years .
Roy

Davidinhartford

Well,  apparently it wasn't flashy enough (as delivered by GM) for Liberace and he had it striped and the piano fender ornaments added.

Davidinhartford

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on May 15, 2012, 12:15:00 AM
Bob,

Up until his death I believe it was in his Las Vegas museum......Proof that taste should not e confused with money.

Ralph

Correct.  After his death, 13 of his cars were sold in the Estate sale. 

Dave Ventresca

It is rather obvious, that the 54 eldo in the Bob's opener article is an early 54, and the other eldo is a late 54. also notice the location of the candelabra in one car and it' s a minorah(sp.) in the other. 2 totally different cars.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Dave,
Good observations. However, the posting by David Smith of 2 plus 1 pictures are of the late car & the group of 4 pictures are the car I posted at the show. So... what happened to the early show car?
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Davidinhartford

Seems unlikely that someone would fake a second car.   As far as we know there aren't two of them around today.    It does seem plausible that the original car was repainted since 1954.      It could just be that some of the trim was also changed when the car had the paintwork done and those piano fender toppers added.     The original version was stock outside other than the continental kit.    What good is that in Vegas?  LOL

Quentin Hall

Dave V is correct. They are two different cars. The first is an early series Eldo with the "wing vent flaps" and the second car the latter style with the "fixed vent frame".
I remember seeing a video about the latter car being in Germany.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Davidinhartford

Quote from: Quentin Hall on May 16, 2012, 07:05:23 PM
Dave V is correct. They are two different cars. The first is an early series Eldo with the "wing vent flaps" and the second car the latter style with the "fixed vent frame".
I remember seeing a video about the latter car being in Germany.

Wow!    I didn't notice the vent windows being different!    You've convinced me.  The second car is a fake!     Huh. I wonder where the original one went?