News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Eldorado (similar on all 472's) frozen distributor-can't set timing

Started by Scot Minesinger, May 16, 2012, 11:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

The distributor will not turn on the 1968 Eldorado with 472.  It is frozen.  The distributor is delicate and so have to be careful (not made of iron like block).  The car has 36,000 original miles on it and it has probably never been changed from the factory setting.  Any ideas on how to free it up?  We have tried many tricks to no avail, I'm an amateur mechanic.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Scot,

The only way to free it, without snapping it off is to soak the base, where it enters the block with a penetrating oil, and keep of spraying it.

A bit hard to do any tapping with a hammer or drift from underneath, but anything should help.

If you can place a damming material around the base, as in plasticine, or even create a moat effect around the piece with JB Weld, then fill the "moat" with the penetrating oil, it will eventually seep down, and hopefully become free.

I had this happen with a Ford Cleveland motor, and eventually got it out.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Glen

Use a 50/50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone.  Works better than any commercial penetrating fluid. 

Your problem is caused by the dissimilar metals.  The distributor is made of aluminum and it reacts with the steel of the block. 

Use anti-seize when you reinstall it. 

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Scot Minesinger

Glen and Bruce,

Thanks, seem like very helpful suggestions!

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Gene Beaird

I was thinking oil is caked around the distributor and distributor hole in the block, essentially 'gluing' the distributor to the block.  It could be electrolysis, too.  The ATF/acetone sounds like a great trick, for both issues. 

Just make sure you locate the distributor rotor and vacuum advance port, like you would if you are going to pull the distributor for work there, because you will probably end up pulling the distributor.  I just want to make sure you don't start concentrating on the issue of moving the distributor, and then all of a sudden it's sitting in your hands, out of the car, and you think "Awww cr@p, I don't know how everything is clocked!" 

When you get it loose, go ahead an pull it, and really clean the distributor housing where it goes into the engine so you can hopefully prevent this in the next 36,000 miles.   ;)

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873