News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Autronic Eye or foot switch problem?

Started by Perk2, May 17, 2012, 11:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perk2

Greetings all...long time member, first time forum poster.
I have a 1961 Biarritz that I suspect has something faulty in the Autronic Eye system, perhaps someone has had a similar experience and can shed a quick answer.

When I have the low beams on, and I then press slightly on the foot switch, the high beams come on as long as I hold my foot slightly depressed on the switch, and then they return to low when I release...this is normal.

But I am supposed to be able to over ride the Autronic Eye by pressing the switch all the way down, but no high beams come  on or stay on.

When I disconnect the Autronic unit in the kick panel from the foot switch, and then connect the foot switch directly to the harness (by passing the Autronic Eye), the foot switch functions normally, and high beams stay on when fully depressed, like a regular foot switch would. The Service Manual says to run this test to see if a faulty switch is to blame or the Autronic Eye/Phototube unit is to blame...it would seem the unit is to blame.

I have also run the test with Autronic Eye connected as it should be (not by passed), and placed a black sock over the dash Eye unit, dial turned all the way to the right (less sensitive) and still the same result...highs come on when foot switch slightly depressed, but they do not stay on when I try to over ride and press all the way down.

Do you think the problem lies in the foot switch?
The phototube unit in the kick panel?
The dash mounted Eye?
Or a combination of all?

I'm ready to just bypass the Autronic Eye altogether and give up on it rather than a super expensive fix...

Any thoughts? Sure could use your help on this, especially if its something simple.
Many thanks!
Perk

(Note: the connectors in the forward and extended harness have all been cleaned, as well as the foot switch/Autronic Eye connectors)

Glen

Try a solid object to cover the photo eye.  It is possible there is enough light getting through the sock to keep it on dim.  Maybe use a couple of layers of tin foil. 

If you still have the same problem the shop manual suggest putting the HOLD adjustment in the center of its travel.  Keep track of where the setting was so you can put it back.  The HOLD adjustment is on the amplifier unit behind the kick panel.  The diagram shows two holes in the amplifier marked D and H.  D would be for “DIM” and H for “HOLD”. 

HTH
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104