News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Method of attaching the side trim on a 1960 coupe deVille

Started by CNF., April 05, 2010, 01:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNF.

The 1960 coupe deVille I bought this week does not have the exterior side trim, the six pieces that are about knee high and run from behind the front wheel well to the rear of the rear quarter panel.   I understand that they are stainless steel, is that correct?  How are they attached to the sheet metal?  Any idea where I would find a set for my car?  Any idea where I would find whatever is needed to attach the trim pieces?  Do I have to find a set from a coupe deVille, or can I use a set from a different model of 1960 Cadillac, or even another year of Cadillac?   
Thanks in advance, and thanks to whomever runs this site.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day CNF,

Sounds like your car was like mine, and all the pieces removed.

You have to be careful as you will never know what you might find under the paint when you try to drill the replacement holes.   Bad bodywork, poor filling of holes, etc. etc.   

Most times, I have found that the reason for the complete removal is damaged bodywork, and the repairer couldn't buy the replacements.   Have a good hard look inside the panels for prior damage repair.   Plus, the car will have been resprayed.

Actually, I rather liked the look of no side trim.

The original is Anodised Aluminium, and the two for the rear quarters are going to be the hardest to find, un-damaged, and the only piece that will not matter what model it comes from will be the front ones.

The Doors and Rear Quarters are Coupe or Convertible specific.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Otto Skorzeny

Hi CNF,

Click on the link in my signature to find an extensive list of resources you may need to fix your car.

You might be able to have new chrome spears made by a company called Northfield Forming and Machine. 

I personally find the smooth look more appealing but I know the spears label it as a Coupe de Ville instead of a "lowly" Series 62 coupe.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Carfreak

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on April 05, 2010, 03:14:05 PM

the spears label it as a Coupe de Ville instead of a "lowly" Series 62 coupe.

Nope, same moldings & spears whether Series 62 or Coupe deVille.   

The models which don't have the side trim are the 'fancier' Fleetwood Sixty Special and Eldorado's.  And of course, you know what their trim look like.   :D
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Otto Skorzeny

What about '59? Do they both have the spear? I thought one of them was different.
fward

Carfreak

Coupe deVille & Series 62 side trim:

Carfreak

Eldo Biarritz & Seville side trim: 

Otto Skorzeny

I think I must have seen a 62 coupe or maybe it was a CDV with the trim removed and assumed that only the CDV came with it. Maybe it was even CNF's that I saw? Who knows?
fward

The Tassie Devil(le)

Maybe it was a picture of mine?

But, there is nothing worse looking than a car with dented and out-of-shape mouldings, as they really show up.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Carfreak

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) (Bruce Reynolds) on April 05, 2010, 07:47:12 PM

But, there is nothing worse looking than a car with dented and out-of-shape mouldings

Right along the lines of muffler pipes hanging out underneath the rear bumper and not properly tucked up out of sight.    :D

The Tassie Devil(le)

I did that for a reason.

You see, I drive on any road, black-top to dusty roads, and there is nothing worse than reversing into a quarry to turn around, only to have the exhaust gases blow up a huge cloud of fine dust, all over the back of the car.

Caught once, and never again. ;)

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

John Morris #23947

All the moldings are 60 only. The front fender moldings are chromed pot metal, and are same for Coupe, Convertible, and Sedan except Fleetwood 60 Special and Eldo. Sorry Tassie, but the door and quarter moldings are stainless steel. Coupe/Convertible only.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

The Tassie Devil(le)

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Hayden P

hey guys... I have just bought a 60 Coupe de Ville... still awaiting shipment to Oz.

Anyway... it is missing following trim - side spear molding (front qtr, door and rear qtr), hood trim (the piece that runs from windscreen to headlight area) and the gun sight indicator trim, front V and wreath and eyebrow moldings.

It has cost me ALOT of money, but I have tracked down all the missing trim.

What I need to know is HOW DOES IT FIT TO CAR... photos, descriptions...anything will help. Especially info on types and sizes of clips required.

Thanks so much !!!