News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Familiar house in factory photos

Started by Davidinhartford, May 23, 2012, 08:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidinhartford

In the 1962 feature in the CLC magazine there was this photo:

I instantly recognized that balcony from one of my favourite Cadillac ads.

But then I spotted it again in this 1955 factory photo:

As the saying goes "twice is a coincidence, three times is a pattern".   LOL

Anyone else recognize this house?    Does it belong to some GM executive?

Doug Houston

Had  . to  look this one up in the Michigan Tech Alumni Directory.

It's the residence of Martin J. Caserio, in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. At one time, he was the general manager (?) of Pontiac Motor Division. He was a friend of one of our CCCA members, who had me take a salon picture in front of that house.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Davidinhartford

Thanks Doug!    I knew someone here would recognise it.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Great catch!

I have the same 1964 ad, "First one up gets the Cadillac" except it is the husband standing up on the balcony, cup & saucer in hand with the wife at the wheel ready to drive off.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Davidinhartford

Quote from: ericdev on May 24, 2012, 05:50:57 PM
Great catch!

I have the same 1964 ad, "First one up gets the Cadillac" except it is the husband standing up on the balcony, cup & saucer in hand with the wife at the wheel ready to drive off.

Really?   I'd like to see that!    Can you post it?

Quote from: David Smith on May 24, 2012, 09:45:08 PM
Really?   I'd like to see that!    Can you post it?

Done!

I brought it with me to work this morning to post it for you.

Love the opening line: "A new Cadillac automatically puts any other car in the family - in the "second car" category..."

**Dang- one of these days someone's got to show me how to post an attachment so it doesn't over-enlarge!!!

Davidinhartford

WOW!      Eric that is fantastic!      I've never seen that version.

Can I ad it to the magazine ad database?   I will give you photo credit for it.

Here is a link to my ad collection:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/that_chrysler_guy/sets/72157608685847079/

By all means- you have my blessing.  ;D

-BTW That's a fantastic compilation of Cadillac advertisements you have there. If I come across any others, I will let you know.

**EDIT: Just noticed- there appears to be two different couples used in the two ads but wearing the same outfits.   

Doug Houston

This is one in a million, so to speak,where a setting is recognizable for car ads. When I look for a setting for taking shots of my  own cars,  I have always found it to be a big part of the project.

I used to live in Detroit, a couple of blocks north of the Detroit-Grosse Pointe city limits. A favorite setting for salon shots was the Grosse Pointe War Memorial, whick is (I believe) the for mer home of Fredrick Alger. It's along Lake Shore Drive. I was shooting 4X5 negatives with my Linhof camera, many of the for the CCCA "TORQUE" magazine. There were several Mercury-Lincoln pub shots taken there, too.  That was put to an end by the custodians of the mansion, probably because they weren't getting a cut of the action.  All you need to do is appear at a place like that with a nice car, and a big press camera, and you're a commercial photog. Those thick skulls have no place for facts!

There is a beautiful home on Windmill Pointe Drive, also in Grosse Pointe Park, which was a favorite for Chrysler's publicity and catalogue shots.

There are  still good backgrounds for good photographs. You just need to keep an eye peeled for them. For instance, I have my eye on a very nice cemetery, not far from where I live now, and I intend to get some decent pix in there. Like anything else in life, it ain't easy!
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Davidinhartford

Quote from: ericdev on May 26, 2012, 09:31:58 AM
By all means- you have my blessing.  ;D

-BTW That's a fantastic compilation of Cadillac advertisements you have there. If I come across any others, I will let you know.

**EDIT: Just noticed- there appears to be two different couples used in the two ads but wearing the same outfits.

Thanks Eric!   I have added it to the set.

Thanks for the compliment on my ad set too.   I'm sure it is not 100% complete, but back when I was a teenager I tried to find everyone I could.  But getting older, life gets in the way.  LOL    That plus todays new Cadillac ads are nowhere as exciting or attractive as the ones in the past.

veesixteen

Lots of similar ads may be found in in the "Ads" section of the Cadillac Datbase:
http://www.cadillacdatabase.org/Dbas_txt/ADINDEX.HTM
Many patrician homes and other familiar landmarks (in Detroit and elsewhere) were used for these photo shoots. 
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I believe that I remember a different version of the same ad from 1968. Different house, though!

Looking at these ads reminds you of how special and unique Cadillac advertising used to be. This was lost sometime in the seventies or eighties. The newer ads just do not promote a mystique for the car.

The late Tom McCahill wrote once that he was told by a Cadillac executive that their advertising was designed to please current owners and keep them loyal to the brand. When you think back, it used to be that Cadillac had very high owner loyalty. Customers would buy Cadillacs over and over and not even consider other makes.

Unfortunately, this is gone now.

Quite right Alan & David- Since The Penalty of Leadership,  Cadillac advertising in itself is indeed the Standard by which all other advertising is measured. For decades, the "by implication" theme was one that served the Division extraordinarily well and in so doing, cemented Cadillac's image.   

Personally I feel the traditional spirit of Cadillac advertising remained until the early '80s (more or less).

Series75

Here's another in 1966.  Tom CLC#6866

David King (kz78hy)

In the first shots, the  landscaping is different in the 1st 3 photos.  I wonder if each shoot paid for the owners next front yard change?

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Series75

yes, I'd bet short money on airbrushing the photo.   Tom CLC#6866

Glen

Or they rented potted plants for the shoot. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104