News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Correct screws

Started by steve340, May 26, 2012, 01:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve340

How do I find out what the correct screws that go in the interior and doors? I need size, thread type and head type for each application. My car was restored by a shop that just put in anything they had on hand and I want it to be correct. (like the latch cover plates in the door jam, etc.). I have a 1941 series 62.
Thank you,

jst

Hi
I found lots of proper oval head interior screws for my 53 Cad at this outfit.
http://www.althafastener.com/Door-Interior-Trim_c_56.html
JST
CLC #27640
USMC  63-68
1953 Cadillac series 62 COUPE

ccp49

Something I've done in the past that was helpful was to find a car of the same year at a car show and take LOTS of pictures.  You have the thread size if there's a bolt or screw in place on your car, so you just need to see what style is correct, including the washers. 
www.restorationspecialties.com has a good supply of fasteners, and Tioga Stainless has a good supply of original styles, but in stainless that can be polished to look like chrome. 

Dan Barbieri
Dan Barbieri
'49 Conv "in the works"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Jeff Hansen

A lot can be learned from reading the master parts book for your car.  Many (but not all) of the screws, nuts, bolts, washers, etc. are listed and the common ones are cross-referenced in a section which will give you size, length, head type, dimensions, etc. - and even a drawing of a sample.

And for those that aren't listed, Dan is absolutely correct, take lots of photos of other cars.  Talk with the owners, too.  Most are only too happy to share their knowledge.

HTH,
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan